Sunday, May 06, 2018

Love The Tree Your With...



I've written about the little tree across the driveway from my patio in the park. I love that little tree but I do not have an affinity with that tree as I do with two others in my life. These trees lived on the small farm I grew up on. There are other trees on the farm of course fruit trees, the trees behind the garage there were four of them standing side-by-side fairly large, one large enough to support my treehouse. There is also a stand up very large trees at the other end of our property down by the foot of the big canal, the New York canal. These trees are huge by the standard of the trees on our property. However, the two trees I miss most is the cottonwood which grew in the corner of our barnyard where the pasture intersected with the garden in the barnyard. To my recollection the cottonwood was the only cottonwood on our property. The cottonwood was difficult to climb. It's still in the intersection as I indicated at the corner of our red outbuildings in fact there was an outhouse just under the cottonwood which I used to use to access the lower limbs of the tree. I like that corner of the farm it was difficult to get to I often would use that area the high things that I needed to. To my knowledge I was the only one who ever climbed the cottonwood. Perhaps my younger brothers or sisters but I have never heard them speak of climbing that tree. The other trees that I climbed were not good for spying on the neighborhood is the cottonwood was. The other trees had way too many branches covered with leaves to see anything interesting. Of course the cottonwood with its limbs, grown close to trunk was just perfect for handholds and footings for climbing and no branches to obscure views of the neighborhood. Of course, the major drawback of the cotton plant was the “cotton”. Big huge clumps of white seed material blanketing everything around the farm. The “cotton” only lasted for a week or two in the rest of the year the Cottonwood just stayed stately watching over the farm.

The other tree that I miss was rooted at the base of the canal I spoke of earlier further west of the trees I mentioned. I don't know what kind of trees these were they had a rough bark and oval leaves the size of your thumb. The tree am writing about how great limbs branching off the trunk almost perpendicular close enough to the ground to get a good start on climbing the tree. My brother claimed that tree high enough to fasten a rope which made a perfect swing. We greatly enjoyed launching ourselves from the lower limb swing out and back to the starting point.

Before writing this piece I scoured all the images I have on this hard drive of the old farm in hopes of finding one image of the trees I miss. There were none. I know the Cottonwood is gone for sure but I don't know about the great tree downed by the canal base. I know homes have been built on that part of the property that's a long ago where Hayfield's. I like to imagine whether developed that housing The tree because they felt it might enhance the property values. But I would not be surprised if it were gone too.I suppose if there's a lesson that lesson would be to enjoy the tree you are with…



No comments: