Saturday, May 26, 2018

Sticks



One of the things I miss most about not having the house and the garage is not having access to the shop, my humble woodshop where if this were normal times I would be spending my Saturday night working on making hooks from sticks I would have harvested from dumpsters outside of wood mills. Obviously I still haven't unfulfilled need to be making hooks. I now have all the equipment I need (albeit it's not as nice and operation as I had in Murray but I can now make hooks to replace my supply that is dwindling quickly.

Route 47, one of the major routes that I use, because that route is close to my apartments, I have noticed travels right past Lowe's building supplies. I've been meaning for days to jump the bus and go over and see what they have that I might be able to use on my hook project. I started thinking that if they had scraps of wood, these pieces might meet my needs, perhaps that would be the best way to go. I usually don't really consider the time when I ride Route 47 because the headways are essentially 15 minutes so you never have to wait very long. However, on weekends that changes to happen are headways versus 15 minute headways and I would just as soon not have to wait any longer than I need to. Everything seemed to work fine I got to the bus stops the more than five minutes later the number 47 came rumbling up. To stop by Lowes is right by the building I couldn't have planned it better.

I always like weekend shopping at Lowe's all the weekend Carpenters are out. Husband-and-wife teams bickering over the home improvement project, dads pushing their preteen daughters around on huge carts designed to carry large sheets of wood like 4 by 8 foot pieces. These couples are just darling to watch. The daughter is so pleased to have her dad off yourself even if it's at Lowe's.

I found exactly what I needed, 2 x 2” pieces at least a foot in length. The trouble is I need one each by 1 inch to make my hooks . This would've worked out perfect if they would've ripped the wood for my but they said they could not it was a safety thing. I next checked the dowels just on the chance that dowels might work and you know what? Dowels will work just fine! They are not as long as I would like, they're just 48 inches that's not bad I can work with that. Dowels, in a number of different sizes. I chose three different sizes. The cost a little under six dollars which is more than I wanted to pay but the cost is worthwhile to replace the hooks.

When I checked the bus schedules I saw that I had a half an hour before the next bus came to take me home. I knew traveling with 3 dowels between my legs was to be a challenge but I was up for it. The bus stop is on the southwest corner of the building in full view of the sun. I killed sometime inside the building that one out and waited for the bus stop in the afternoon sun. Even though I knew the time I chose not to wait in the shade was available. That shade was at a distance from the bus stop and I knew if I chose to use that shade the bus would be early and I would miss it. Spoiler alert it didn't matter. I was waiting 10 minutes when other bus coming towards me from it distance. She was moving pretty fast that I figured should serve over to pick me up at the last moment she didn't. I can tell she was not going to stop I started waving my arms my hands – – I cannot police did not see she had to see but she left me in the dust. I was pissed. The only thing I could do was except the drive-by and call the incident in which I did. Besides my angst I tried to convey to the operator I also wanted to make sure she contacted the next driver to be sure she saw me... She did.

I know it sounds like a little deal, but when you're counting on that bus and it's hot outside (or cold if it's the winter) it is a big deal if the bus passes you by especially when it's not your fault. The driver had to have seen me, issues so distracted she did not then she should not been driving.I hope I got her in trouble the necessary for my benefit that for all the other wheelchair users expecting the next bus to stop.

No comments: