Wednesday, May 02, 2018

The Red Steer



I received a message today from my friend, David Rogers asking when we're going to hit the Red Steer drive-in Red Steer Broadway in Boise, Idaho. Of course the comment was whimsical the Red Steer vanished from Broadway Avenue years ago in fact the Hawkins Red Steer franchise disappeared years ago. That Red Steer may be gone but the memories have not.

I met Dave half a century ago at Borah High were landed after my accident. Borah is not the high school I want to be at but because my wheelchair Boise school district pretty much mandated that I can the crosstown rival of the school a geographically was supposed to have attended, Boise High School. I do not remember all Dave and I linked up but we did.

I don't know if the Saturday night dance or SND still exists but I think it probably does. The local Mormon church group has a dance every Saturday night at one of their church houses. They did back in the 60s and I bet they still do. Adolescents hanging around in groups always looking at girls and girls looking at ways eventually asking each other to dance. Where does it was the SND was the place to be on Saturday night. The dancers started nine and end exactly at 12 midnight. My buddy Dave started picking up on Saturday nights. I went transfer into his car and Dave would stow my chair in the back his Oldsmobile and off we go. The best part of the event took place after the dance. We would always stop at the Hawkins Red Steer on the way home in order of box dinner. The restaurant is famous for their crinkled steak dinners however I usually ordered the fish dinner. Three huge pieces of Alaskan halibut with fries but I got my dinner I thought I was in heaven. We would sit there rehash the dance and talk about who knows what it was just great.

David, of course, lived in the Borah high school district which meant that he had to travel all the way across town to pick me up to go to the dance. Why did that consistently for about two years maybe three is beyond me but I sure appreciated his efforts maybe not so much that it surely now. I wish we could jump in a time machine and travel back to Boise Idaho is Saturday night 50 years ago in order great fish and chips dinner.




No comments: