Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Hump Night

Tublets: French Vanilla


Wednesday night – – hump night and this should not be taken the wrong way – – halfway through the week. Typically I think was the night is a poor night for anything like television since I only get CBS and what they said CBS is offering on Wednesdays is minimal at best. I was in the kitchen just finishing a salad that is building from the remains of the banks salad fixings I got a week ago I figured I better use the lettuce and other vegetables up before they got to creepy. I was struggling with trying to open a bottle of hot peppers when I got a notice that at being texted it was my friend Lori. Lori wanted me to meet for coffee at my local coffee shop Hidden Peaks. Problem is Hidden Peaks close is quite early for coffee shop around 6 o'clock in the evening. I suggested the Village Inn at the other end of the block, the restaurant is also closer to the bus stop Lori would be getting off and besides it's Wednesday, free pie Wednesday… Need I say more?

Lori's text was all I needed to shut down my salad operation. I don't to salad I made into a plastic receptacle and shoved the container in the bridge into a little more time knowing that if Lori was doing public transit it's going to be a while. I waited as long as I dared then split. The night is beautiful, the temperature is still in the 70s and certainly a taste of summer to come. I zipped across the sidewalk stopping dutifully for the light. I can just see myself getting nailed by a “right turn”. The light turns and they should across the sidewalk into the VI restaurant.

It's a slow night at the village Inn, there is no one to greet me, no one behind the high shelf known behind the cash register just voices behind the door to the kitchen. I grab a menu and seat myself at our regular table. I wonder just what I can get away with and still qualify for FPW(Free Pie Wednesday). Adele, finally realizes there is a person in her section and floats over to investigate. I explained that just the coffee I'm waiting for someone. She sets me up. I pull out my book and begin to read. The sooner had I done this but I get a ping on my cell phone its Lori. Lori had not figured that during the evening and night the bus frequency goes to one hour. It was going to be a while. I worry about public transit after-hours especially for Lori. The return trip to get kind of dicey. I suggest we abort the evening and do it tomorrow when the bus system is a little more forgiving.

The night clientele at the village inn picks up a little. Adele drops by and I informed her of my situation. I ask it was the least I can order to qualify for the pie. Adele kind of winks at me and Mouths 'you are ready do' I still order a cup of vegetable beef soup and crackers and a piece of triple Berry pie to go. When I got my coffee earlier Adele also supplied me with French vanilla flavor tublets( I just made that up and I like it). I grabbed a handful and stopped in my shoulder pack. I figured this was payback for the restaurant charging me $2.50 for a pitcher of coffee that I will only have, at most, two tiny cups. It wasn't right but sometimes you just have to stick it to the man…

No comments: