Sunday, May 13, 2018

Street Art Sunday







The sun came out briefly today. We're caught in the center of a slow moving cold front– – very little storming or lightning and thunder just cool breezy weather with many threatening clouds and the drop in the temperature. But this morning the sun was shining and with it a rise in temperature all to the point of comfort. I took my camera a.k.a. cell phone and just cruised around the neighborhood looking for items of interest.

When I lived in Murray we just had homes in my neighborhood I had to go a number of blocks to get to a commercial sector… Actually is not completely true because directly behind our home was the Trax rail line and beyond that was an industrial strip of buildings and businesses which I thought had little artistic value. Here in Taylorsville there is commercial enterprise right outside my back door. Ingenious little restaurants have popped up out of what was once convenient stores. There is a beautiful fire station down the block and an interesting little strip mall which has both looks like graffiti plastered on one side of the building's. Sadly, I do not think this graffiti is from gang activity or nonprofessional artists involved in street art. I think the images shown here were commissioned in an attempt to forestall any such gang activities. Either way, I'm impressed with the renderings and enjoyed checking the art out close and personal. I took the images of the mural one by one since I was too intimidated to use the panorama function on my cell phone even though my phone begged to me to use the panorama function. Not far from the mural there is a huge building which I found is our local fire department. The building is modern and kind is secretive for a public building housing emergency vehicles and support systems. I'm used to seeing fire stations with the bay doors open and fire guys hanging around but not here. It seems the doors only open the alarm sounds and the fleet roles. I have to admit little boy inside me so excited when the big ready emergency vehicle...emerge. Part of this strip mall is a striving little coffee shop called Hidden Peaks Coffee. As I looked across the street this morning I noticed the parking lot was full and I thought to myself holy mackerel Hidden Peaks is open (typically the coffee shop is closed on Sundays, don't ask me why doesn't make sense but that's the way that it is). And a shot across the street to check this out. Sadly, the shop is closed the reason for all the parked cars was the Sikh temple was having services – – which I didn't realize they had Sunday services. So coffee fault alarm but I started seeing things of interest things worth imaging for later use. If you check blog entries from last year at this time you'll see that I was quite involved with the little plant shop in the parking lot of the strip mall. These are the people who I can if you overcharged me for plants. That will not happen this year since I plan not to garden. Still is good to visit with the proprietor and his German Shepherd who desperately want to play ball with me but would not give me the ball through. Buddy (the Shepherd's name) Bringing the ball up to me and then dropping it just as I reached down to get the ball. It was kind of cute but also kind of frustrating. The.desperately want to throw and catch. Last year I was impressed because the proprietor also had a full-scale tepee on the premises which I thought was pretty cool. I wish that asked him if he intended to raise the tepee again.

The clouds moved in while I was out taking images and I ended my photography session in the neighborhood but was pleased with my results but I suppose that makes a good day.

No comments: