Saturday, May 05, 2018

Food Glorious Food



People can be a major annoyance to me. I tried to accept most people as I encounter them, after all it's all you can do when you're a person with a major disability. It is not like I'm going to knock anybody down for going off at the mouth for any particular reason. So therefore I put up with a lot of annoying situations like this morning.

It was the start of a beautiful weekend. I actually slept until about 7 AM this is rare but enjoyable when I get this much sleep is obtained in one sleep cycle. I made one of my favorite breakfasts – – corned beef hash and one egg. I could've gone out the restaurant this morning and got the same meal but with two eggs and two pieces of toast and a you have to eat the whole dish or be saddled with a to go box. Then there's the whole issue of having to be presentable though I was actually. I stayed in, had a great breakfast then zipped across the street for some real coffee.

Saturday morning and the food pantry across the driveway will be open from 10 to 12 . This is the day I usually visit and pick up a few things. I always feel guilty using the food pantry because I don't really need to financially but really the place is so convenient and it's always so exciting to get something like a gift and that “gift” is never the same. I tend to cherry pick the items I want and I think it kind of drives the volunteers crazy. But seriously I don't need any more macaroni I don't need anymore bean of any kind canned or dry and I definitely don't need any more macaroni. I'm most interested in what the volunteers offer that day from the frozen meat section. I have gotten some pretty nice things frozen. Hamburger, chicken, link sausage and once I even got a flank steak roll up with green stuff in the middle. The price is still in the package – – cause you realize all this product is donated from various markets around the area. – – The price was 20 bucks! I of course did not want the green stuff the flank was wrapped around but it was tasty. I fried up the flank then cut into strips. Tasty bit of meat and will help me replace my blood loss.

The major drawback from getting items from the food bank is one has to wait in line. People who go to the food pantry on regular basis knows that you're most likely have to wait in line for an extended period of time but that's the trade-off for getting free food. Today, the lines seemed longer than usual probably because of how beautiful the morning was for some reason the line moved slower than usual. There was a woman, one person behind me, was on a tangent about how slow the line was moving, how horrible it was that people have to wait in line and why could they not make the line to any quicker. It just seemed rude and almost crass this woman was getting free food all she had to do was wait in line. The woman finally got so exasperated she stomped off got in her minivan and zoomed away. I got into a conversation with the gentleman standing right behind me. He was a nice guy, he had some cardiac issues which sent him into poverty and Saturday morning food pantry. Two minutes later, a redhead whose body had seen much better days joined the line and started complaining about how slow the line moved. But nobody would respond to her complaining she fished a cell phone from her bra and called somebody to complain to. Sigh.

It was the best food pantry morning. I got a frozen pound of hamburger, frozen link sausages and nice-looking tomato and box of cookies to replace last week's cookies. I even got a bottle of ketchup so I didn't have to go to the market today after all. For the most part I like the food pantry… It's the people that wear me out.

No comments: