Saturday, February 23, 2019

Laundry, chicken Soup and Happy Birthday



I made chicken soup today are actually I started making chicken soup today. I'm talking basic. This is the first time I have ever really made chicken soup from scratch and it seems the coming along quite nicely. Remember last week or couple weeks ago when one of my neighbors foisted a chicken on me? I cut the chicken and half and used part of it and then froze the other half. I just stuck have to chicken in a freezer bag and threw it in the top of the refrigerator. I've been thinking ever sense that I wanted to use the remaining chicken to make soup. This was especially the case last week when I felt that I was coming down with some form of sore throat, luckily for me that passed but not my desire to make chicken soup.

I actually looked up on the Internet a couple of recipes for chicken soup. I also looked up the process on how to render chicken stock for the remains of the bird. It seems kind of straightforward maybe a little complicated but I woke up this morning, again very early, and begin to ruminate on making the chicken soup. I realize it's a long process actually to do it right. So I figured it being Saturday why not commit to the whole day for the process. Seriously, 6:35 AM I was I traipsing around on the second floor of the apartment complex using the front loader washer. The front loader in my laundry on this floor was out of order – – or so the sign says – – so I figured I would use the front loader on the second story. It's weird, I've never used the laundry facilities on the second floor seems like I am a interloper. I don't think there are any issues as far as having to use the laundry on the floor you live but still I felt a tad uncomfortable.

With the laundry finished I ended my procrastination and begin the process of deboning the chicken I was pleased the process went quickly. I separated the biggest pieces of meat from the bones. The breast or half a breast, the wing and leg and thigh. Where I could I removed the skin. Finally, I'm sure could do a better job saved a lot more meat but I'd gotten the big pieces off that was good enough for me. I actually pulled down the kettle I purchased from the polygamist store I purchased a couple years ago. This was the first time I'd ever used the vessel. But the carcass in the kettle and filled it with water and set it on the stove, a section up and onion, smashed a couple garlic's, threw in some carrots and put the whole thing to boil. I finally got that finished around 10:30 AM once I brought the boil and then set the pot to simmer where it stayed for the rest of the day. What an unbelievable older if produced in my apartment.

Around 7:00 PM I fished out the bones ran the boil through a strainer pulled out as many vegetables I could set them aside and is going to make the soup but sort of ran out of gas. I'd had enough of soup making for the day. I got an idea though. I'm going to take about half of the stock and freeze it for soup are whatever on another day and then save the rest for tomorrow while making chicken soup adding a couple more carrots and potatoes.

The soup is cooling now and soon a put it away. It's been a good day. I washed clothes hung and folded, made soup and wished by granddaughter happy birthday via the Internet today was a good day…


No comments: