Tuesday, February 05, 2019

My Dinner With Dennis



It's funny how life works out. I knew today was going to be a bit of a challenge and it has been but a good challenge. Yesterday was beautiful the wind blew it was warm (for February that is) but it was the one before the storm. Today I took off for my meeting downtown and by the time I got to the bus stop at the park the snow is blowing sideways. I had my jacket on and that's really all that I needed, I should pack my blanket for my legs but I was okay. It seems to us snowed on me on and off all day. I was okay with that because following my assistant meeting which was over at 12 noon I was going straight home and is going to be in my apartment for the rest of the day.

I got home and is working out on my arm bike when I got a phone call from my buddy Dennis Ward. Dennis was a older kid in my religious group there in Boise. I've written about him in this blog a number of times. Dennis is bigger than life. He was a football hero for Boise high and that also watched the fight once or twice at the old swimming place we used to hang out at twin Bridges. I feel very lucky to have Dennis in my life these days. We truly are a Bruce Springsteen song Glory Days. Dennis of courses on Facebook, Dennis is a sales guy so he knows how to contact people, follow people read people. He saw it was my birthday and invited me out to dinner tonight. I was up for that. I chose a little restaurant just an you decide the street from my apartment complex conveniently enough. True to form however snow started blowing (not falling mind you falling with the wind blowing large snowflakes. Since the little restaurant is right across the street I did wear a jacket I just threw my red blanket/poncho made from red flannel over my head and took off. I literally looked like a snowman when I got there.

This is a Mexican restaurant and I mean a real Mexican restaurant called Marcelo's Ensenada. They specialize in Mexican seafood cuisine – – I didn't know there was Mexican seafood cuisine. It must be a good place, it's a little hole in the wall but always lots of vehicles parked around and very few of the people inside speak English. I always chooses placement someone comes to visit just because it's easy for me to get to. I don't understand a lot of their food. Tonight however Dennis was buying and be felt like kings I don't know why you just did. We talked like old men talk bringing up issues we grew up with in the LDS Ward we attended together. He was quite a bit older than me actually he was my brother's age. But we did know a lot of the same people but I have recently learned that he was adopted similar to me and as I acquainted Dennis With my new “family situation” we had quite a spirited conversation talking about his adopted situation which I just knew a little bit of from our previous meeting.Dennis was able to fill me in on a lot of the history/mythology of our ward the bushy 12th ward which I found fascinating. There are a number of folks, oddly enough, from the old ward here in the area and playing with the idea of perhaps having a reunion of types later on this summer will have to see. But, the hour was getting late and I knew that Dennis want get home before comedy hour of the state of the union was to begin at 7 PM. I just want to get home I did not have far to go and I was surprised when I got out into the air at the snow was still falling the significant amount had fallen since we entered the restaurant. I was quickly covered with snow as I made my way home balancing my dinner leftovers and its little Styrofoam box on my lap looking forward to the next meal with Dennis Ward.

No comments: