Sunday, February 03, 2019

Leiola



This is Leiola and I think she's great. Leiola that's what his old-time names that people used to name their daughters two centuries ago. You've noticed the weird spelling for Leiola is not like I know what the regular spelling as but the first part of that name is Lei like the garland of flowers worn around the neck and the Hawaiian Islands. That's because Leiola is from the Hawaiian Islands, true story. Leiola is 80 something and she was driving up until last month when she gave her cute little yellow Volkswagen bug in one of her grandchildren. It broke my heart to hear this (and is not like I tried to talk her out of the situation, she knows she's done driving). I just know how much regret I have known after losing my license are rather giving the license of because I thought I was done driving – – and I suppose I am really am done. Leiola lives here at the complex with me. I don't see her very much a couple times a month and we talk we seem to have a unique friendship.

I really want to get going on this project I've been thinking about the one where I interview different individuals here at the apartment complex. Everyone has a story and I think could be great to document the stories. Leiola has a story which I would really love to document and if I don't act fast I feel a little lose that ability to document her life. One of the most interesting things about Leola, besides her yellow bug, is that she was actually in Pearl Harbor on December 7 when the harbor was bombed by the Japanese. She remembers that day. She was very small at the time older than an infant and probably older than toddler that she remembers the event I believe that. When you hang with Leola that's what you hear but I bet there is a lot of other totally interesting facts about her life the more time I spend with Leola the more I sense. Just last week we are sitting together at coffee and she confided in me that she had five children. I don't know why this startled me but it did. I would be fascinated to find out more about her life and what happened after Pearl Harbor, the war and everything up until now.

I talked to do Leola the other day briefly about my legacy project that she seemed all in on the idea so I guess the balls back in my court. I've checked with with the program I used to use when I worked for the state when I was doing my broadcasts. They no longer offer a free So now I have to find another option. I have not really explored Facebook they seem to be trying to get involved in everything like this but for some reason I don't feel comfortable with their current reputation. I'm thinking I could use YouTube. They seem to be wanting to be the new platform for podcasting and such. I just have to figure out how to do that as well as what and where to do the filming. But I kind of like to lead off with Leiola and just see what Leiola's life can teach me and others…

No comments: