Saturday, February 02, 2019

Thank you Moms And Happy Birthday To You



Maurine, adoptive mom
Dubie, birth mom

One of the things I thought was really cool that I learned from my ex wife Dianne was how she would call her mother on Dianne's birthday and thank her mother for giving her birth. I really just thought that was a nice thing to do.

So, it's Groundhog Day and if it's Groundhog Day it's my birthday! It's kind of weird birthdays are birthdays after all BUT this year it's different. With the revelations of this summer in finding the remnants of my birth family this birthday seems different. You'll recall earlier this week I blogged about my biological brother from Colorado called to wish me happy birthday – – somehow Facebook published by birthdate couple days before hand and Ed called earlier in the week – – we talked sometime, a lot of it about the birthmother, my birthmother. Ed knows a lot of stuff about Dubie and her history of becoming pregnant and then giving up the children. I was surprised to learn that Catholic community services handled a lot of the adoptions. The reason I turned out the way that I did was my grandmother encountered Dubie in the bus depot in Colorado and took her (me) home where I was delivered and a friend of the family who just happen to be a judge made all the arrangements for my adoptive mother to adopt me. It probably wasn't so but I got this cartoon image in my mind of Dubie's head spinning around at the speed at which the adoption took place.

Like Ed who was adopted but through Catholic community services we never really thought too much about Dubie and pretty much focused on our lives in which we ended up growing into. My mom and dad are my mom and dad and that's the way that it is. However, I do have some kind of feeling towards Dubie and maybe even my birth dad since he was actually still in the picture. I've never had a feeling of wishing to of known either of them until this last summer but all of a sudden the mythology of my birth becomes real. Ed has actually spent time with the “family” and I think even with Dubie that says she is quite reticent and a little distant. I'm sure her birthing history has had a toll on her. It was how she survived at that time. There seems to be some question about the birth father and how supportive or destructive he may have been. I'm sure the lady was just trying to survive.

68 years ago I was a newborn being taken from my biological “incubator” a.k.a. mother and delivered to my mom who then cared for me for the next 2 ½ decades until I got out of my own and moms are moms the matter what even after you left the nest. Having said that, I kind of feel that somehow Dubie felt the same way in a rather distant and disjointed way to all the children that wandered through her womb into the room of the adopted mother. Hopefully, somewhere in a spiritual sphere the two of them sat down today in whatever form therein and talked about… Me.

No comments: