Thursday, February 14, 2019

Role Call


 Click for video

It's Valentine's Day today that doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot to me of course but just the same that means I'm that much closer to spring in today's one of those days that very much like spring. In other words I would say an equinox day lower still quite a ways equinox I deem it an equinox day where you get four distinct seasons are at least a couple. Today it's going to be rain and snow and of course it's Thursday which means I have bookclub down West Jordan which means I'll be on the system. The good part about this is that if it's raining it's above freezing which means snows go to be melting which means I will be able get the bus stops… Life is a trade off. I don't know why but I felt motivated to write on my Facebook page first thing this morning nothing earth shattering just sending a happy Valentines greeting to all the people on my friends list. Not only did I wish them a happy Valentine's Day but advised them that It is raining outside and everybody be careful out there. And as I said “be careful out there” it brought to mind one of my favorite shows of all time: Hill Street Blues.

HSB Was an NBC offering which ran on Thursday nights mostly nearly 80's. I watch this series as my marriage was falling apart. One of the main stars of the series was Capt. Furillo, A hard but good cop and one of his right-hand man was Sgt. Phil Freemason Esterhaus. Each show would begin at rollcall where Sgt. Esterhaus Would read off a number of items that Hill Street station would be responsible for that day. It was always quite a laundry list and the Sgt. Always did a great job. Both the Capt. and the Sgt. cared dearly for their men and support showed. I watched both of these guys through the seasons and wish I had someone like them in my personal life. Somebody who I could go talk to would understand what I was saying but the same time not judge give me a little good advice and tell me everything was going to be okay. Both of these guys were fair that's all I wanted. Sgt. Esterhaus was a big old white guy but a nice guy. He was brilliant in a very low-key way. The way he led rollcall you knew he was smart but he never let it show you is devoutly human. He was a cop's cop, he was always immaculate in his dress, his speech and his life. I knew I always had the sergeant in my Mythology of the universe of my universe anyway I guess that's all that mattered to me at the time. The thing that stood out most to me in roll call was that how it ended. The sergeant would always finish is daily oratory always with the phrase “Oh, and everyone be careful out there” are a variation of that phrase. Sometimes, he would act like you'd forgotten to call everybody back for just one second and recite his mantra of roll

call… Everyone, Be careful out there…

No comments: