Thursday, February 07, 2019

Snow Job



Taylorsville got pounded with yesterday's snow. More snow fell during the night and I heard the plows working early this morning so I knew that I was going to be apartment bound reinforcing the tension highlighted yesterday's blog. Fortunately the sun decided to do some shining as the storm began to break up and move out. The cold state for sure but the sun broke through and never underestimate the power of radiant energy. I felt myself getting antsy as I sat through coffee klatch Thursday. The old ladies talk about how much snow there was and how dreaded they were of having to go out to the parking lot and try to get in their vehicles. I was interested to see just how bad the plows had encased meat on to this block.

I first went out to the gate which opens up to my bus stop on Redwood Road. I figured the sidewalk on our side of the gate would be cleaned off the sidewalk and the sidewalk was clean. But as I figured on the other side of the gate was a snow pack enough to break my heart I wasn't going anywhere there. I want to make sure I could perhaps get down to the road which I could but I would have to wait through significant amount of water from snow which it already melted in the driveways. So that was iffy. I called the people over at Utah Developmental Disabilities Counsel to inform them that I would not be able to be at bookclub. Even if I could and would stress myself on getting to the other side of Redwood Road to catch the 217 southbound I don't know what I would find at the end of the line at the transfer point in West Jordan. I was not willing to take the risk of being snowed out of the library by one or two sidewalks that have not been cleaned which is a high possibility judging from other times I have gone following a snow event.

I spied one of the workers had left a snow shovel by the exit to the back parking lot which I quickly took possession. And I began working on little areas of the sidewalk which caused major issues for my mobility. The sun was bright and actually warm considering how cold the snow made the atmosphere again radiant energy should not be doubted. Neither the the visual effects of the 68-year-old man in a wheelchair vigorously plain bulldozer with a plastic snow shovel. The radiant energy that caused a lot of the snow that had been smashed in the ice fairly easy to push with the power of my chair and the snow shovel held in front of me like a dozer. There had actually been some fairly decent snow removal on the west side of the apartment complex and the park. Oddly though about halfway between the gate and the intersection is a driveway into the park parking lot. Each time the cars drove into the parking lot that caused the snow to bunch up and caused quite a bit of snow and ice buildup at that area I found if I again acted like a dozer I could actually get shovel fuls of ice and push it out of the way. This actually worked a lot better than anticipated. When I got to the end of the block I was somewhat dismayed at the amount of snow buildup and how much snow and nice been pushed into the curb cuts by the snow plows. I could see however there been enough radiant energy out the really loosened up a lot is known as I tried to drive my chair with the snow shovel I was able to actually pushed more snow out of the way and move significant shovel loads of snow away from the curb cut to the point where I was making extreme progress on getting to the pavement. Cars were passing me fairly closely by Working back and forth not paying much attention. I wasn't sure how pathetic I looked but I knew some folks are looking in a few minutes some young guy actually stopped the vehicle walked over and asked if he could help I'm no fool I said “sure”. We shoveled off the whole sidewalk at the corner. Then we cross the street and cleaned out the corner there by the market and D's restaurant. I could've done it all and I would've done it all myself would not been as good a job as Darrell (the kid who stopped to help me) did but it would've gotten done at least good enough for me and some of the other people here at the apartment complex who use mobility devices.


No comments: