Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Dennis The Menace



I don't know if apathy is the right word but I'm getting somewhat indifferent to going down to the mailboxes every day and checking my mail. In fact yesterday was the first time I have checked mail this week and that's only because I'm expecting some income verifications Which I must render once a year about this time to see if I can influence positively my rent. It's a tedious assignment and one that I am pleased when I'm finished. So, I was surprised to find not only a bottle of medication (which I forgot was coming) but also a package for my buddy Dennis who lives in California. I think I somehow in the back of my mind remember Dennis at texted me something about the documents he was sending my way but I honestly had forgotten all about the notification.

I was astonished and delighted to find a copy of his personal history which she actually has documented and appears to have published. The document is concise and compact probably less than 150 pages but totally documented, footnoted and even has a bibliography. Total professional.

I believe I've written about Dennis before in this blog was my best friends in the early adolescence. I don't know why I was drawn to Dennis except for he was a bit like me a bit of a loner and borderline strange. He lived in my religious community called award the way out on the outskirts of the Ward. It was only 16 miles from the city limits but seemed like it took an attorney to get there. I actually went to his home a couple times to spend the night, a sleepover. It was a very rural setting what they call a dry farm basically raising wheat with no irrigation depending on the Lord for water. Dennis is book is quite enlightening. The picture I came away from my visits to the place was a very focused business operation with combines and Mack trucks and kids working as indentured servants as many LDS kids seem to be.

Dennis was smart, too smart for his own good in a lot of ways. It seemed like my company and we liked James Bond, the Man from uncle and other reality escapes so desperately needed by adolescent males. Remember does a lot before my accident but seems Like he had his own bag of problems and backed away from me. I feel so privileged to have a copy of his life. I'm only halfway through I just finished his LDS mission. Now I get to enjoy the juicy parts of his life post-mission. Dennis' time with the military Fulfilling his military obligation at one of the most dangerous times of doing so in this country's history. He could've spent the rest of his life in Ontario where one of our friends from the same ward still lives never coming back from going AWOL and avoiding Vietnam. Dennis also discusses his vocation, families and finally get my hold of a life worth living.

This will be probably the best read of my summer. I so much appreciate Dennis be a part of my life then as now in helping me keep anchored to reality.…

No comments: