Monday, August 19, 2019

Letting Go Dream



For a split second I really thought I could do it. Yesterday I was delighted when I received a call from Mark Anthony indicated he was in that area of the apartment and was it okay if he dropped by and of course I said yes. I must confess I was a bit self-serving, not letting on to Mark at the time of the call that I needed some assistance in some emergency chair repair and the possible effects on an idea on my outside porch/patio.

Yesterday morning when I tumbled into my power chair and tried to fix my wheelchairs left arm to the chair . There is/was plastic latch On the base of the seat of the chair which when pressed locks the arm in the chair so I can use it to pull myself up to a sitting position through the day. Well number of months ago I broke a lever but there's enough left to move the latch in and out I was okay but somehow I had finally managed to destroy the last partition of the latch in the arm would not stay fixed. This was a bit of a pain I could get by until Monday I suppose and try to find a replacement lever but since I had the backup chair which is essentially the same chair I was hoping that it had an intact lever and when Mark checked it out indeed it did and it was relatively easy to pull that piece off and replace the broken piece on my chair and is back in business. Problem solved! Happy face. In the process of the repair I mentioned to my son that I didn't really plan on taking a class this semester. I was as amazed at how crestfallen he seemed that I wasn't going on with my senior education career. This made me think well if Mark is bummed out what will the rest of my public feel? I was quite frankly amazed at how many people supported me in my efforts. So this morning I woke and thought “why not take the next class which I assume is ' Basic Drawing'. I had been eyeing this class sense I finished the last. To be honest besides the physical rigor of dragging my equipment back and forth the class I didn't register because I really didn't know how even though I somehow figure it out last semester. So once again I tried to do it online and could not do it and called the Registration Help Line who tried to help me out but couldn't figure it out either just asked me to come in which I did and soon I was registered me to go.

I was pumped, no question about it, the college was abuzz with students prepping for the new year. The register's office is in the student center where the cafeteria, bookstore and other stuff resides. There's lots of young folk run around lots of energy and it felt great. The only class I could get was offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30 PM to 745 PM! Really, that's a long time at the end of the day and not because I'm old but maybe because I AM old. I just cannot see myself schlepping all my stuff between my apartment and the art class and back in the late afternoon to early evening. I also dealing with the problem of my butt feeling a little bit sensitive. I need to be relaxing and almost getting pressure off my backside after being up all day. I just can't see it so I'm going to drop the class tomorrow I guess when I figure out how to do that. I'm sure there's a process I'm sure I'm not the only one. Now if I can only push myself to keep drawing in my little apartment studio…

No comments: