Saturday, August 31, 2019

There And Back Again with apologies to Bilbo Baggins



I really thought I was going to go to a movie today. I thought as either going to go to a movie or just hang around the apartment and try to be creative. Remember, my newfound sister, Dubi Wanted to see the movie, “The Farewell” and it's a movie I'm interested in seeing too. We made contact a few times during the week but have been so busy they never discussed the issue like we should have still like texted's morning and she indicated that today she was going to the Polynesian Festival in Utah County at Thanksgiving point – – I really don't know what you call it stuff themepark per se nor is it a park or Mall. It's a place with restaurants, country/rustic theme oriented activities many of these activities are seasonal. The place is kind a huge. Anyway, I have to admit the trip to Utah County is always intimidating for me but I figured what the heck it could be fun.

We began texting around 9:45 AM and she said she would be down there 12-ish so I figured I had enough time. I really didn't go anywhere yesterday and there is less than a mile showing on my odometer so I didn't take the time to plug-in. I was hoping I had enough juice to do what I needed to do. I make contact with Utah transit Authority information and found I could get to the point of destination relatively easy. Taking heavy rail from Murray Central down to Lehi Station in Utah County. I did get and enjoyed the trip down to Utah County. It was a little spooky finding the right bus to the Thanksgiving point without is relatively simple. I was still kind of trying to work through what I was doing at a Polynesian Festival. I just want to really meet my sister don't know why that was important to me but it is and was.

I don't know how well known the phenomenon is but Utah is quite a gathering point for people of Polynesia. I suppose it has something to do with the aggressive missionary effort the LDS church focused on the islands but there's a lot of folks who were of South Sea Island descent and seemed like they were all there at Thanksgiving point in one of the huge covered shelters. There is quite a sound system going with a Polynesian couple emceeing the event. I don't mean to be negative but the whole thing was kind of trashy. Aside from the cultural phenomenon of bunches and bunches of food stalls, food tracks and information stalls they were having hula dancing contests and I'm talking major dancing contests. In fact I got the queasy feeling that calling public dancing cultural allows the local population to ogle nearly nude bodies in stereo typical coconut bras in grass skirts shimmy and shaking to thunderous drum beating. Boy with the elders having a great time at Thanksgiving point today. Anyway, I was there about 45 minutes before I started texting my sister and we eventually found each other and chatted For quite a while. We decide to get something to eat and that's what I got lost. I was horrified at one point when I thought I'd lost my cell phone. Luckily I did not and we eventually linked up when it was time to go. We visited a little bit more and decided that we would still do the movie but he could figure out a time but we had to move fast because the movies been here for some time. We said our goodbyes And I was getting a little worried as I looked at my power gauge. It seemed like I was losing power quickly which often happens when I roll over grass. As I made my way to the bus stop first and then the train station my battery indicator eventually slip from the green to the yellow and of course yellow is caution plug-in quick. I lucked out and found the bus I needed into the train station with an eye on my charger indicator and then from the train station onto the train to Murray Central then on to Route 54Which drops me off at the 217 where that bus drops me off outside of my apartment complex. I made it! I was still in the yellow I thought sure I'd be red by that point.

Was a good day. I made it there and back again I indeed felt like a hobbit, I indeed felt like Bilbo Baggins…

No comments: