Thursday, August 08, 2019

Little White Bags



I have been challenging myself this last year so to drag either a lap box I purchased a a year or so ago to pick up things I would usually have to use a plastic bag for. You know those white plastic sacks that seem to be ubiquitous. The kind they give you at the market for just about anything regardless how small. In an effort to be more environmentally proactive I'm really trying to do my part. I also carry in the bottom of my plastic box one of those book bags are cloth bags that are not as ubiquitous as the white plastic bags that seem to be everywhere in the really quite nice actually. When I don't have enough room in the box then I will use the white bag or if the item is very heavy like a watermelon I will have the clerk put the melon in the bag and somehow hang the bag off my chair for the trip home. Even with all this economic proactivity and wanted to do good I still end up bringing 3 to 5 bags home a week, at least! With fury and frustration I thought about how to get rid of these things. I didn't think it would do me any good to put the garbage bags in the garbage because then they just become the landfill's problem is not that that's a problem but it kind is for me. So, what I've been doing is taking a big bag and hanging on the inside doorknob of my closet and then as I would bring knees ugly pieces of plastic home when I removed my groceries or produce that I would just wad the little bag up and stuff it in a larger bag which worked pretty good, that is, and tell you realize you might have up to 50 or 60 bags in the bag on the handle which is now bulging to the point that you can't shut the door. And a wonderful fit of denial I tied off the bulging bag after removing a new starter bag and hanging it on the door handle. I stuffed the bulging back further in the closet. I did this for about a year. Luckily I don't have to open the closet door wide open very often but I do sense that bags working in the dark under the jackets, scarves, sweaters and other closet items. There waiting for me like a nefarious character from a Stephen King novel waiting to engulf me in a deadly polyethylene caress. I don't know why but I once asked one of the checkers at my market about my problem and she said that should bring them in to the market, I never did I never did

I have such a great home health person, her name is Annette and she really try to do more than just my shower and whatever the morning. She thinks of things to do like the my kitchen. She's great. She happened to put something away the other day meeting she had opened the closet and I she did bulging bags cascaded out. It just so happens she has a client who uses one or two bags today for personal use, I did not pry all I know is that Annette said she can use all the bags she could get and took two or three armfuls with her when she left and now I'm bag free and loving it. I still think everyone should be more vigilant and the amount of bags they get from the market. Little white plastic bags are everyone's problem remember to take something with you to cart your groceries home in …

No comments: