Saturday, November 09, 2019

Carbon Based Dinner



I'm so excited. My brother Carl, called this morning Oh, around 9 AM I appreciate them call him later but actually I been up since a little after 7 AM. It was another night of trying to adjust to know way of raising my head. I got up around 4 AM empty my bladder demo back to bed and actually slept for almost 3 hours what a difference three hours makes. Anyway, he was coming over to put the motor on the bed fixing the bed! The beds fixed tonight I should be able to sleep much more comfortable. Poor Carl, he worked all morning on the project before getting the new motor on and the bid put back together. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was not quite 12 o'clock when he left to finish his day of errands and outside work. I still had time to make it over to the food bank and see what treasures might be over there today. I had taken a bit of a hiatus from the food bank for the last three weeks. No particular reason except that I probably had enough chicken and pork can goods to meet my needs. Still is always something exciting about finding something special at the food bank.

It was 11:50 when I got to the front door and to my liking there was no one else in line was able to go straight in. The staff welcomed me like a long lost family member that made me feel good. Among the usual things today's quasi treasures included a pretty messed up box of Wheat thins, 2 pounds of pistachios in the shelves and the big treasure: 2 pound plus try a point steak! The steak was frozen and already seasoned in some sort or read stuff. It seemed huge for one person but that's okay I'm glad they saw fit to bestow this gift of protein on me. I took my treasures back to the apartment and decided I'd cook the steak tonight for dinner. My Saturday treat was to take myself to the market and buy things to keep me over the weekend so I don't have to break the Sabbath and run to the market. I got jumbo eggs, 12 cups of ice cream – I really like these individual servings and cups like we used to get in the old days I company outings, school celebration events in such you remember, the paper cups with the tab on top that you pulled off to enjoy the ice cream music came with a little flat wooden spoon. While today is still the same size roughly but all plastic and no spoon, Individually sized is perfect for one treat. I got the mandatory bananas and frozen burritos for next week some pretty will set. Even if it's just the market and the food bank I feel like I've done something today.

I noticed by six this evening the steak was thawed and intimidating me to not cooked I knew if I didn't take action I might not cooked so I took action. The kitchen was to clean from yesterday's visit from the cleaning person so I dove in. I actually downloaded a recipe or to the cooking tri-tip steak and I figured I knew what I was doing. 12 to 18 minutes on each side after searing both sides. I think I made the mistake by searing the me too long. The got pretty carbon-based I was quite dismayed I did try to cook the meat 18 minutes but it was just smoking way too much I am surprised the fire alarm didn't go off. I was using olive oil and the cast iron skillet I got from Dianne. I opened the door to the outside turned on the fan over the stove maybe that's what saved my bacon. I sort of made the decision to let the steak cool then wrap it up and throw it in the crockpot tomorrow for a slow cook but after a few minutes I cut off the tip of the steak and aside from the steak being fairly tough I like the flavor and the charcoal coating just increased the flavor. So, I'm just going to drop what's left of the steak in the plastic bag and toss it in the fridge and then maybe cut slices all at once or meal by meal this coming week. It's a bit of a challenge eating the meat especially with my messed up tooth and I'm going to have to spend a major portion of time in front of the mayor flossing out the other teeth that are still functional. I think alley cleanup till tomorrow and enjoy the treasure steak from the food bank…

No comments: