Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Currently Yours



I started my new occupational therapy sessions/treatments today over at Tosh. It's great to be back in the old neighborhood just something about Murray I really enjoy. I was a little concerned all morning just because my home health attendant got here quite late night been doing some figuring that have to leave at least by 8:15 AM or so to make my 10 AM appointment time. Remember this is the weird stretch of State Street where it served by two different bus routes the 200 and the 201. 201 is the flaky bus route of the two because it runs on long headways. I knew that if I were to take the 201 as point to have to do some waiting which made me nervous. I eventually decided to take the 200 and have them drop me off right after the turn onto State Street but I kind shot myself in the foot because the first stop after the turn is quite a ways from Tosh. I would've been better to just a taken off the second my train got into Murray Central but I made it with enough time to do all my business before spending an hour with Nikki

I have to admit it feels pretty good has somebody is excited to see me as Nikki seems every time she sees me. Today, I was in for kind of a treat. Nikki was going to hook me up to an electric shock machine I called ESM. I'm sure it's got a real technical name but I don't think I heard today. Nikki went over goals that she had thought would be good for us to work on and was very thorough to make sure that I agreed with all of them which I did. This first session we spent on the working on my right hand. Trying to let me work with my thumb and forefinger to develop a better pinch or just to see what I was capable of. Once we got a baseline of what I was capable of she hooked me up to the ESM which is really interesting. I wish I'd taken images don't try to next time. Anyway one red electrode is pasted on my hand another was pasted on my forearm and Nikki turned on the juice my hand jumped around like a frog in a high school's biology experiment. She turned up the power not only did I feel electric current thrashing through my hand for the electrodes attached to my forearm there's actually burning pain. The pain was not severe of course, Nikki's way to professional for that… I hope. However, she kept a close eye on me to see what a comfort level look like. The machine was kind of fun I did get a better bit of a pinch which of course I can use for doing things like picking up buttons and all kinds of little items. She has a can of these items that she throws out on the table and I spend time picking each of them up. It's weird having that much current rock your body as it does. Nikki's got some real skills in this area was kind of fun to see her move the patch around on my forearm and see how different fingers jumped around and got down. Like I said the exercise was fun an of course I got some homework. I've got to spend time during the week balling up my fists, this is important so it gives my fingers some tone (I guess). It seems like when I let figures flop, Extended weakens the/there ability to perform any activities which might be useful to my independence. Everything is for my independence which is kind of cool you think about.

Nikki is kind of fun. I believe I will enjoy my time working with her. We are going to work on other parts of my body over the next 5 to 7 weeks. She said that we probably won't be able to work on places where bones of been broken something to do with electric current I don't know. But it's really neat how excited she is to work with me I just hope I don't litter down…

No comments: