Saturday, November 02, 2019

Sky Pilot And The Way-Back-Machine



You know, how it's so easy to get lost in the Internet just by a click of the mouse. That just happened to me. I just got hijacked on a 20 minute journey taking me in my own little “way back machine” to those wild wild times of the 60s. What a great time! I am so lucky to have gone through that time. It's so easy to get lost back there with something likeYouTube. Such a perfect conveyance. Not only the delicious sound of a long-lost time but images linking up the music with my past. I did some checking with my search engine on my blog and I've mentioned the term “sky pilot” just three or four times but never really have I used the term relationship to the music by Eric burden and his group, War.

The term “sky pilot” was a term often used to describe a military chaplain during the Vietnam conflict. The term could've been used earlier but I don't think so, I never have heard sky pilot used in reference to priests in WWII or even Korea. It would not surprise me if they use that term on the television show M*A*S*H which of course was the spinoff of the classic motion picture of the same title. If in fact it was used it was only because the movie was written during or after Vietnam. Actually, M*A*S*H came out in 1970) the middle of the whole debacle. Of course the movie depicts a military surgical hospital during Korea but we all knew they were writing about Vietnam. But, father Mulcahy was, in my estimation the original sky pilot.

I just bounced around, it's so easy to do once you've fallen into the The musical time vortex of YouTube. The Beach boys and I branched off to exploring what happened between Mike Love and his cousin. What a shock I never knew they had such a rift. Of course I had to sample three or four of the videos which led me then to the Rolling Stones and at least two of their videos Satisfaction,And of course “Start Me Up”.What a journey? I still love that music with an intensity that just blows my mind. From there I bounced to “Pretty Woman” the hollies, two or three selections from C C R and I even found “Hang On Sloopy”By the McCoys. This is the first time I found the video H O Sloopy. What a great time. On my little motorcycle wearing cutoffs and T-shirts soaking in the sun. I'm glad I have the memories. What a delicious way to burn up an evening and not do what I should be doing. I started out this morning committed to folding the close I washed yesterday (actually, Annette through the close in the washer and dryer and I just went down and got him last when I remembered). The closer still in their little hamper at the foot of my bed waiting to be hung and folded which are beginning to right after this.

Like I said what a delicious deviation for Saturday night. I didn't tell you but yesterday when I went to the bank/credit union to get the cast from a cleaning person I also set up an account independent of my others which will be the recipient every month of about $100 or the cost I was paying monthly for insurance when I had my van. My theory and hopes is that I will use this fund “Transit” fund to pay for transportation I'm thinking primarily for private transportation options i.e. taxis, maybe even vans who knows? Is there a better way to spend a Saturday night…?

No comments: