Friday, November 15, 2019

Market Street Grill


I'm not sure if I enjoy these screenings offered through Utah Film Society for the access to unique and interesting films as much as I enjoy having a great excuse to have some downtown dining. I think I miss not being downtown every day like I was for so many years the exposure to really decent restaurants and unique places to eat. Not that I did a lot imbibing in the your local restaurant trade but I knew that I could if I wanted. One of my all time favorite downtown joints/eateries is the famous Salt Lake Market St., Grill. I think the Market St., Grill (M S G) was one of the first classy places I went to when I moved into the city in 1984. There were a group of folks from the private nonprofit industry that would meet a couple times a month at the Market Street Grill for breakfast. The Market still offers breakfast beginning at 6:30 AM Monday through Friday and I think 7 AM on Saturdays. It's a little bit more expensive than some of the other places one can grab an early morning breakfast but surely not as classy. I kind of miss those days fun times. As I wrote yesterday I nearly forgot about the screening of the film On disability. Suddenly remembering about the film I was taken completely off guard and I was running a bit late. I had it in my plan to get downtown early enough to have dinner at the Grill. Now however I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make my connections to get downtown in time for the curtain are the beginning of the screening. Even though the downtown area is relatively close in I'm always lost it seems even though I've been down there is much as I am. I took the train into town got off at Galvan and went around the corner and there was market Street! I rolled into the restaurant about 6:00 PM. It was already dark and felt so much later. I went through the whole rigmarole of telling the person that it was just me dining by myself and being assigned a table. My server was named Fred and I immediately buttonholed Fred and ask them how soon I could get my soup because all really wanted was clam chowder which I love from the Market St., Grill. They have a good-sized bowl of soup with half a loaf of crusty hard bread which is divine. Fred said he'd take care of me and that you'd immediately bring my soup and on top of that advised me that the theater that I want to go to a stride around the corner. True to his word he soon had me faced with a beautiful bowl of clam chowder. I also had the French loaf hard crust cut. For the first time my life I asked my server to butter my bread. I was expected he would just grab the bread and the butter and spread. I would not of been surprised if it's the dumbest pair of plastic gloves but instead whisked the whole loaf back in the kitchen coming out a couple minutes later the two perfectly buttered pieces of bread. What a great time. I enjoyed my soup thoroughly sopping up the last of the soup with the buttered bread. I still had two thirds of the loaf which I had Fred put into a a bag that I can hang off my chair to get home. I was surprised and pleased to see that I had more than 30 minutes to get to my destination which is right around the corner. So I summoned Fred my server over, Fred would been so nice to make sure that I got my soup and my bread buttered. I fished out my wallet was fumbling for my credit card when Fred said “that's okay is taking care of” I wasn't sure what I heard as more focused on my credit card and handed it to Fred who again looked at me and smiled and said not the right I've taken care of it that finally seeped into my mind what he meant – – Fred had paid for my dinner. I of course was a bit taken aback, a little embarrassed but really humbled and appreciative and of course a little worried because of my fear of being taken as a hobo. But no, I thanks Fred and stuffed the card back into my wallet grabbed my bag to bread and took off for a wonderful evening at the screening. Not the Fred wreck the screening for me he did not that certainly his move of gallantry was the high point of my evening I'm still smiling… Him andHim

No comments: