Saturday, November 23, 2019

Food Bank Saturday



It's food bank Saturday – – every Saturdays food bank day here in Taylorsville Utah. I go almost every Saturday though I do not need to and I always emphasize that. I don't know if that's a weakness I have of not trying to appear to needy. But it's true, I can get along just fine without visiting food bank but why not if I'm eligible and I'm eligible. Simple as that. Today, this kind of special just because it's the Saturday before Thanksgiving and they're giving away turkeys supposedly. And again honestly, I've been sort of up in the air about what I even take a turkey if one was offered to me. I've been thinking a lot this year about how much energy it takes to do a Thanksgiving dinner especially for me and especially if I'm the only one eating. It's like why should I bother? Yet at the same time it's like if I don't do something for Thanksgiving, even if it's just for me, then laid myself down. Is that too bizarre? Really are in the week I could've registered to have a Salvation Army meal delivered to me on Thanksgiving day but I was asleep at the switch and the sign-up sheet was gone on the last day to sign up. I thought I had until like the end of working day but sign-up sheet was gone by the lunch hour when I happen to get by the front of the building. I mean can is really all you really need is a taste of Thanksgiving. I do enjoy leftovers immensely but what I found in years past leftovers is one thing, a couple nights of complete tricked out plate of Thanksgiving all over again and perhaps a couple of turkey sandwiches but when you got a whole bird roasted sitting in your refrigerator that's a lot of protein to have to consume before the bird goes bad. Then, yesterday, Friday was the apartment complex potluck Christmas dinner. The company provided the turkey and everyone else brought something. I was going to fix candied yams I then bought a new Pyrex glass container But I had my occupational therapy appointment and then lucky enough I got to have lunch with Dianne so I missed another turkey dinner. I kind of don't want to gorge out on Thanksgiving dinners before the day for fear of not appreciating Thanksgiving turkey on Thanksgiving.

Still trying to sort out my feelings. I really don't think I wanted a turkey just because of what I have written but there is not a turkey offered me not because they didn't have a turkey but because you had to have a family to be eligible for turkey – – that's the first time happened to me. Some kind of glad I didn't get the turkey but I did get the fixings for Thanksgiving dinner. I can't believe I even threw a couple of guilt starts at the volunteer/workers when I told them “that's okay, I'll just have to go out and buy a turkey”. I realized right after I said that I was trying to hurt their feelings for holding back on my turkey. They even offered me 2 pounds of frozen ground turkey (which I took) as well as a couple pieces of cod. The big bag of fixings is what's in the picture at the front of the posting. A lot of stuff always, dressing, can I can pumpkin plus the fixings for pumpkin pie, a can of yams/sweet potatoes, dehydrated potatoes and a bunch of other stuff that could make or break a Thanksgiving dinner even a can of olives. I bought my stash found in immediately went across the street to the market and picked up a turkey breast And brought it home through it in the refrigerator to thaw. This is probably the best way to go though I will miss dark meat. I realize that I can cook my brains out on Thursday and Annette my cleaning person will be on Friday to clean up after me indeed it must be Thanksgiving…

No comments: