Thursday, November 14, 2019

Wednesday Night At The Movies



I was jolted with the start yesterday afternoon, about 3:30 PM when I realized that the screening of a film at the Rose Wagner Theatre by the Salt Lake film society was tonight! I was very much interested in the offering this week because it supposedly was about disability which of course, makes it somewhat mandatory that I should consider going since I belong to that group. I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm surprised I was contacted by the Utah DD Council or even my old boss Claire used to be director that counsel. She usually keeps her finger on the pulse of things disability special developmental disability. Anyway the weather's been so nice lately and even though the days are darker earlier I figured why not check it out it would be a great experience and then I forget all about it. Oddly, it was just the day before maybe two days before that I was visiting with my friend Lori who indicated that she was probably going to go so I felt somewhat obligated that if Lori attend the film screening, and it would be greatly difficult for her to do so, I should attend at least make an effort.

I sort of threw myself together pretty quickly. Think about the Salt Lake film society is that you don't have to be pretentious. Seem like a bunch of aging hippies and other folks who enjoy a free night at the movies it of the movies can be somewhat avant-garde or different. Actually in my estimation that's half the fun of going to the film society offerings is to see who shows up and how they dressed and make up stories about each individual that you see.I was kind surprised at how quickly is able to get ready and out to the bus stop going inbound. I figured I had enough time to stop somewhere along the line for a quick dinner. I decided that I be able to drop in at my favorite place downtown which Is Market St., Grill and grab a bowl of clam chowder my favorite. I was shocked suddenly realizing the time was moving faster than anticipated and was not sure I'd be able to get downtown hit the Market and make it to the movie on time. But I didn't (tomorrow, I intend to post about dinner at Marketplace Grill.

I'm still somewhat astonished that is able to get to the Rose Wagner in time for the start of the movie. As I usually do I got somewhat confused on directions downtown and even went to the wrong theater. For me there's nothing more dis- jointing and showing up at a venue and being the only one there is what I did last night when I showed up at the Doris Echols theater space complex in downtown Salt Lake and quite obviously nothing was happening. The place seemed abandoned but there were people inside wondering around obviously staff which I soon buttonholed and asked them about the offering. They did not know anything about Change For Life But did some checking and I found the theater that I wanted was the Rose Wagner which is about half a block away.

The movie was posted by Utah film society and by a local personality was also a host of a local radio show on the NPR network here in town. He introduced the writer/director of the film. The film was billed as a comedy is kind of weird had a very strong beauty and the beast motif with an actress who is the beauty and a disfigured faced individual as the beast. The film was a film within a film type of scenario the plot line being beautiful model movie star and movie with disfigured actor who is part of a troop of “Circus people”In a lot of ways reminded me of the 1930's film “Freaks”. The movie is relatively new I think around 2016 but still seem to have some traditional disability caricatures and assumptions. The best redeeming quality of the movie was the actually used one or two will folks with disabilities – – the disfigured guy, a person short stature/little person, bearded woman fake conjoined twins, giant etc. etc. I doubt had enough when the movie was over and I was anxious to get out of there to make sure I got to the train on time to make a home. The county would like to a state for the Q&A but I don't know how I would've reacted. Interesting note there was one scene of frontal nudity with both female and male leads a third of the population of the theater got up and left. I don't know if the nudity offended but there was definitely something going on.

If he did not see a have not seen Chained For Life.I would say you did not miss a whole lot but still was good enough for a a Wednesday night to be downtown after dark feeling part of the world…

No comments: