Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Power Chair Problems





It's probably a small event to everybody else but to me it's major. Remember last week, last Wednesday they're supposed to come in take my chair away to get repaired? Well if it did not as you know and now it's been rescheduled for today. I mean, it's traumatic enough having to say goodbye to your shoes / power chair even for an afternoon but this is like sending your kid off to camp. All day long I've been goosing around in my back up chair because I had the brilliant idea that this day I'm going to have my staff/Annette Place me in my back up chair after my shower. So, I've been in my back up chair all day long which really, right there I deserve a medal. Normally I would have had Annette put me back in my regular chair and then come around 5 p.m. with my pickup should be actually the pickup is between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. but anyway at that of time when the driver shows up collect my chair have to go through this pathetic dance of transferring or trying to transfer from one chair to the other. Not only is the dance  pathetic but also traumatic. In the old days if I was lucky the driver would render some assistance or try to. And this day of the pandemic he's wearing his gloves and just sort of standing back and seeing how I'm going to figure out how to make the jump from one chair to the other. A couple times the driver just gets impatient and helps me with the transfer other times I've done things like actually jumped in my bed and then had him take the chair move it and place the back up chair next to the bed for me to transfer back into. It's awkward but doable. However, I'm trying to avert that awkwardness this time by being in my back up chair already even if it takes all day. I don't know if you can see that I've got a piece of my chair tape to the seat of the power chair. This morning as I was trying to undo the latch that holds my side arm on the right side of the chair the latch broke off. I found the latch it does not look like it's broke but somehow is come off I want to make sure the technicians either figure out how to put the latch back into the mechanism or they can replace the mechanism entirely. Fortunately, rarely do I undo that side of the chair or I don't have to actually. It's very heavy that side of the chair it has my controller on on the right side. Sometimes I disengage so I can slip further under a countertop like to shave or wash dishes. So even if that were broken or could not be repaired immediately I could get by.


That leaves me with trying to exist and my back up chair. Once again I'm totally thankful for this piece of machinery. It is certainly not the best nor efficient but gets the job done I just have to be totally careful all the time. The controller squirrely I think I've talked about this before. For some reason when you're in motion it doesn't really stop you immediately like controllers should. You tend to go a little bit further which could be very dangerous. I don't like to use this chair outside of my apartment  because things  could get very dangerous very quickly. In this time of quarantine the power chair will be fine since I'm not going anywhere to speak of. Or the other drawback with this chair is I think the batteries are very poor. Just normal driving the chair around the apartment and the complex seems to drain the battery dangerously low in just a couple hours. I have reverted to charging the battery whenever I'm at my computer or reading and I can be at one spot for an extended. Of time. In fact I'm charging as I write this right now just so I'll get by for the rest of the night. So, even after all this complaining I am just totally thankful to have two power chairs at the same time and to keep going without pause...

No comments: