Thursday, June 04, 2020

Screen Door Assist


You know it’s funny how when you start out on the new day and you think you have a good idea about what’s going to happen during that day and then suddenly things begin to change? This is what happened to me today. I knew I was going to have visitation from some of the old folks I used to work with when I was employed by the state of Utah but soon I realized there were going to be changes.

I really don’t read things taped to my door that comes from the old days when landlords put undesirable notices on ones door. How do I read my monthly notice from management I would have seen that the coffee klatch restarting again today! What a shock. I don’t know what I’m more shocked at the fact that I actually missed this weekly Gathering of folks here at the apartment complex or the fact that the group was starting again which means that life is beginning to return to normal. It was great to see the old crew once again gather around the tables. We probably had double the amount of tables we usually use because of social distancing. I really don’t think we as a group had to worry about much since we’ve all been socially isolated for at least a month or month-and-a-half and there’s been no outbreaks. So I think we’re safe but we did do socially isolating and we drank coffee and we seem to get back into our groove a little bit. A couple of the regulars we’re not in attendance but that’s okay I’m sure they’ll be back next week when they find we met again.

I had an appointment set up for 11 a.m. when I would meet with a couple of folks from Utah assistive  Technology Program UATP we’re coming over to install some sort of a handle on my screen door open and shut the screen door with less stressful I’m currently. Because I cannot access with my hands the traditional way to open up the screen door I’ve been using various sticks and reach extender devices which although sort of works Are not ideal  and well sooner or later lead to me destroying the screen door. I really am trying to change my method of operation. I was so pleased that when they showed up the seem to know exactly what my needs were and went to work installing not only one Loop on the inside of the door but also a loop on the outside of the door! So now not only could I open the door with these go through I can actually shut it behind me once I’m out on my porch and flies will not be streaming in. This is really a great program that’s a shame more people in the state don’t either know about it or use it UATP is another agency I’ve been on the board for decades. I know they’re out there so I use them. I really had a double win  today. Remember about how my power chair are my backup power chair sides wouldn’t lift so I couldn’t send my chair back for the upgrades? Well as long as I have the guys here I figured I’ll ask them to look at and sure enough problem solved. Somehow I had turned the locking mechanism 180 degrees to what it should be and it would not work or function. Once the latches was returned to its proper position it worked just fine so I called in made another appointment to have my chair picked up that will not be till next Wednesday but I’m cool with that my regular chair is working just fine I should be okay until next Wednesday.

No comments: