Tuesday, March 02, 2021

Chance Meetings



I'm always amazed at how quickly bonds developed between people even from nothing more than random events. I'm not sure the function of age for this just me what but I've been a little concerned recently at seemingly events that used to be simple now becoming more and more challenging. Case in point is riding the train. I'm really quite prided myself at being able to roll right up to the “low riders” in person but in how the ramp deploy. I don't know what the problem is maybe it's wintertime and I covered with lots of paraphernalia usually backpack, jacket and whatever else I might be carrying making it a bit difficult to touch the bottom which opens the doors to the coach. I can still do it good enough, I never miss the train, but I'm sensing people are worried about me not being able to make and often intervene and push the button for me. Which is cool, I appreciate the intervention whatever gets me on the train into my destination. I've had people board the car on one and the way and try to open the door from the other side for me. These are all good people and I really appreciate their efforts but I can really do it myself.


The above image is a woman/girl named Cherie. As I indicated earlier, I first ran into her last week when I was returning to my weekly Assist, Inc. meetings schedule. The meeting is at 11 AM all the way downtown. I usually leave around 10 AM to catch the bus is I need to. Last week, there is a what I thought at first was a young woman waiting for the train. She had a baseball cap on with your mask and they uniform of a fast food joint. She was obviously going into work for the noon rush. It's not that I was fixated on her stress that she opened when I seem to be struggling to get on the train. Then she sat next to me on the ride-in. Of course, I feel obligated to visit with since she was so kind to me. I mean as soon she wants to present or she would not have sat so close to me. So we talked I was a bit taken back at how forthright she was. She is currently staying/living a halfway house for recovery drug offenders. Obviously sentenced there by the court. She has this low-paying job with just a few hours a week to “helper” with the transition I think she's been in a 90 day program some sort. I used to know all about this stuff when I was a drug and alcohol counselor rehab facility in Pocatello way back in the old days.

We chatted until her stop him up 1300 S. I was not sure what fast food operation she worked at but wished her well and good luck.


This morning, time wise was a duplication of last week so I should not been surprised when I got to the station and was fumbling around the button not really finding it when also a hand reaches over and touches the button and the little ramp employees and sure enough it's the waif. This time her jacket is open and I can read the name “Cherie”embossed on her name tag. She's on her way to work in the distance of more. She's worried she has to leave the program in April, she has till the end of April to find affordable housing on minimum wage job. It would be near impossible to find affordable housing that she had 40 hours of work a week but not at this point time. My information referral instincts kicked in given her the option of checking out the Community action program as well as several housing authorities. She should have a counselor working with her but she does not. I hope she can stay clean up hope she can rearrange her life and find something better. I don't know if she can do it I hope so. Maybe I will see her again next week or maybe I'll even our earlier…

No comments: