Saturday, March 20, 2021

The Roast

 


 

My house smells splendid I'm at the end of a 4 ½ hour cooking session of roast beef in the bag. This is that infamous roast I purchased five or six days ago in the “throw away” meat section that I was frightened I was going to lose before I had a chance to process the protein. Remember, I purchased the London broil the same day and I ended up cooking the broil the second day slices up it's been quite perfect to have around for snacking in such. I was a little bit more concerned about the roast however it was a big guy or is a big guy3.7 pounds would seem like it was huge when I got it. The meat had languished for some time in the been, when I picked it up, it loss that brilliant red color that fresh meats have but that's okay. I have found that aged meat is somewhat better at least I like it or don't have a problem with meat that's a little bit dark. There's a good passage in Shogun ,The novel Of aEnglish man Lost in Japan in the feudal times. There's a piece in the novel where an individual dies because he takes a game bird down that the character was lettingCure or basically rot before he cooked it. So I justify purchasing discolored meet by just referencing the pieces cured and ready to cook.


I thought about taking the easy way out and throwing the meat into one of my crockpots but the one crockpots that I know would be large enough to handle the cut is up on my shelf that I don't dare try to bring down with a hook. The other crackpot is just way too small especially if I wanted to have any vegetables with the meat – – which I do.


I started the process rather late this afternoon around 2:30 PM. I had made a very good breakfast and I was still enjoying the bacon and eggs and English muffin. I purchased a pound of thick bacon a few weeks ago and fried the bacon up this morning it was perfect. I will have ingredients for omelettes the rest of the week I'm pretty lucky. It's a rainy day today even snowflakes intermingled with some of the falling rain. No reason to leave the apartment except to check my mail. So it's been a good day to cook. I still saw myself not really wanting to dive in and put the roast on but I ended up calling Dianne, who encouraged me to put the dinner on which I did. It took a lot of work, well not necessarily a lot of work but just focus on the work at hand to cut the meat from the plastic packaging and put it in the plastic cooking bag with the flour, carrots, potatoes and of course savory onions. That was four hours ago I think it's about ready now at least it smells that way. I noticed on the sharing On the shelf this morning there were some interesting rolls that might be Just perfect To make this roast a meal.


I know this is a pretty lame posting but when it's a cloudy rainy day outside its hard to find anything more exciting to write about them cooking 3 pound roast I wish you could smell it it's delightful…

No comments: