Friday, March 12, 2021

Governor's Committee For People With Disabilities (?)

 



Wow it's not like it was a super busy day it was not just that so many things are happening right now, having a difficult time wrapping my mind around some of them. Remember, the meeting I sat in on yesterday? The Gov.'s Council actually it was the Governor's Committee for something I cannot recall exactly what but at one time it was the Governor's Committee for the Employment of People With Disabilities. That particular name came about after some earlier names which were quite in today's enlightenment almost derogatory to folks with disabilities and the whole employment system. In the previous days I've been on such committees one and Idaho for the city of Blackfoot. On the grassroots levels these committees were called the Mayor's Committees for the Employment of People With Disabilities. I attended the monthly meetings which was usually set at a restaurant with different employers with the idea that we were getting folks with disabilities who are looking for work in front of those folks who could hire them. I was a long-range planner for Sheltered workcenter which used to be called workshops but fill out a parlance for the same reason handicapped was changed to “people with disabilities”. In Blackfoot there was great to have the company by my lunch in the think about a lot of lunches for various employers of the community but I never saw a lot of people get hired anywhere. I was a little disillusioned but it was part of the job and I liked sitting next to other folks from the private nonprofit and government sectors were my friends and buddies. We all got together, ate lunch listened to a speaker and went back to our office and I was always sure to include my attendance at these functions of my monthly report – – very important.


I sort of felt like Rip van Winkle waking up, or Capt. America been thought out from the ice when I realized this “governors council” was actually the state level of the employment program are on this level called the Governor's Committee for the Employment People With Disabilities. I actually worked with an organization that kind of didn't support this operation here in Salt Lake or Utah. We may have had a person on the Committee just because it was expected but it wasn't me. There is some opposition on a national level because there are some thought about using people with disabilities as a token. We've come a long ways in a lot of situations of disability political correctness and everything else the last bunch of years and unlike think things are different but I certainly got a lot of the same feeling at the zoom meeting I was part of. Luckily, the camera on my flatscreen and fallen off and no one can see my face which I'm sure would've given away my feeling had anyone been watching when I was donned by the revelation of the meeting I was participating in. I'm now having to sift through my feelings and adjudicate whether oh will be part of this group especially after having this minor presentation at the end of the meeting about how much I enjoyed being part of a meeting again. People laughed people felt sure I was being truthful (and I was) but the same time have we come very far at all? I have to figure this out. Luckily, right now I'm just a visitor I have no power, I do not vote on the board/committee and that sort of a early dating situation. We just have to make sure it's the right fit are no feeling all. Seriously, I just need to be patient the right chance to serve well come along . Until then I got the blog, Covid shot number two and a whole spring and summer to look forward too and let me remind you when I started this blog there are number of things going on that's trying to wrap my mind around this with just one maybe I'll get the others later on in the weekend but until then happy Friday at the weekend…

No comments: