Thursday, March 04, 2021

Public Transit


You know when you get that feeling that something is going to happen strange? Not a feeling like UFOs are simply going appear or that folks are going to start popping out of holes in the graveyard just the feeling that something weird might happen. One of my disability poems is about one night while writing all personal history all boards of the bus and the driver cannot understand what the consumers try to say. I can understand but I'm hot and I'm tired and I just want to ride home in silence. I since this weird feeling when that person cerebral palsy boarded the vehicle . I got the same feeling as I was waiting for the bus to go home from my meetings downtown Salt Lake. I passed this consumer who was definitely appeared blind , he had a cane and the sunglasses in this beautiful seeing-eye dog (I assumed it was seeing-eye dog it was on a leash and a kind acted like one) but the beast was the German Shepherd or one of those golden retriever types. This was like a husky with bright white spots over the eyes. The poor beast looked confused as it was being kind of yanked around almost I was not sure if he was a real certified guide-dog or one disguised as training for his own use. The poor beast looked miserable. I was hoping, just hoping, this would be the last interaction of have with this fellow today but of course that wasn't going to happen.


I' D had a long day. I was tired and most likely cranky as I made my way over to the 201 bus station. Route 201 runs every half an hour during the day so often the drivers when they get to their end of the line parked vehicles close look up they leave for a bathroom or smoke break or something but did not around leaving the consumer to just hang out until they return which I was doing and sure enough I could hear behind me blind guy and his poor beast. I kept quiet – – I was running silent – – I really didn't feel like engaging.. I know my chair mix electronic noises as it wanders through its program. I'm sure the blind I was totally aware of my presence but elected not to say anything. At this particular bus stop therefore five routes living the bus station sauce kind of hoping that maybe this fellow was taking on the other buses but of course not. Sure enough when the driver did show up 10 minutes later and open the door the blind guy with his pooch were right there. I'm sure there's some kind of protocol developed for servicing a blind guy versus a quadriplegic in a big old power chair. I moved back and let

consumer with his mutt on first. I let him get situated then I came on the bus from my spot back in the chair and the driver. While this was happening the blind guy one to get into some kind of esoteric conversation about what I feel was worse being a quadriplegic in a power chair of being a blind guy. Little did this guy know who I was and how much I've pondered these questions. One of the games we often used in independent living training/counseling was “Choose a disability” again structured so that individuals can get some kind of feeling for what other disabilities must feel like.. So when Buster Brown asked me what I rather be disabled in a chair or be blind I had read between the eyes with “no way would I want to be blind versus just be able not to get around by walking”. This certainly shut the guy up which is okay for me. I didn't have time or the patience to play a game of “one up”. The rest of the bus trip was done in silence as I played with my cell phone the blind guy kept rattling on about different aspects of his disability's and the dog looked relieved to be stashed underneath the seat with his paws over his eyes wondering how it gotten there…

No comments: