Saturday, March 06, 2021

Greasy Bacon and Cheese Please

 






I don't know if I had a fever yesterday from the vaccination I sure could of it certainly felt like I did often on. I did not feel good much of the day but I got by all right. Sadly however, I'm way behind on my letter writing just about got half of done this month which means I still have three or so to go it alone do it right anyway. I thought sure I was going to buckle down today and get the letters out now just have to wait till Monday which is probably just as well great project for tomorrow. We had gusting wind today a little bit late for the lion of March but today it was definitely here. But with the wind's there were warmer temperatures and since I'm down the last of my bananas I figured it was good enough excuse to head out to the market at least. It was a beautiful early afternoon and I just did not want to stay in the apartment and write letters (like I should). I been talking a lot about the Canadian geese that frequent a couple of the fields that I spend time at so I figured they would be a great time to go out to see if I can get a couple pictures of these guys but of course I think I've lost my window for that. The Canadians were not in the park nor do I think they are at the graveyard but I did not travel that far north. Instead I bolted headed south I thought you know I'm going to see if Belles was still in business. I know I've posted about this little one person restaurant around the corner from where I live a couple years ago. I haven't been back since that initial visit soon after I moved the apartment complex here. It didn't look too busy then so I thought perhaps with the pandemic it would be out of business for sure.


I forget just how far east from me this little place is. Belles is around the corner from my apartment complex then down about six Salt Lake blocks which are big blocks. But as in the mood for some traveling in a chair was charged I feel good. I think I went about a mile finally coming up to the establishment I was impressed to see how many cars were parked in and around the building. She was definitely in business and doing quite well I suppose. It's always kind of strange to me join in this place is like an immediate flashback 20 years maybe even more. I think at one time there was a grade school or two in this immediate area. I don't know about a junior high or high school but definitely there was more foot traffic and evening and weekend traffic that supported a little joint like this. I'm sure was commonly called a greasy spoon of that kind of descriptor but she makes good burgers. As near as I can tell she runs this place all by herself is busy busy busy. Today the must have been five or six folks in their two or three families but it was pretty steady. I know this does not sound like a lot but I think it is for her. I'm impressed at how accessible this place is even to the wheelchair accessible bathroom. I don't think that was accessible last time I was there but now it is. What I really like is that the counter is perfectly high enough for a person in a wheelchair to sit and enjoy their meal with the only places I've been to have such a convenience. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger and that was all it was less than five dollars and I know that I could've gotten something cheaper at Mickey D's or some other fast food joint but would not have the nostalgic atmosphere this place has as well is the immediate feeling that money are spending to stay in right here in this place helping this community along. I could've gotten fries and a coke but I didn't just the burger that's all I wanted a nice greasy burger that's what I got…

No comments: