Wednesday, March 31, 2021

So Long Brother Dennis



It's weird how something that happens in the past, in the recent past, and totally have an impact on you or me that is. One of the key people in my childhood someone who I think quite highly of even though I have had little contact with him in the last 50 or so years. He's my age. He just turned 70 along with another friend that I have not really kept too much in contact with. These two folks have been very successful in their lives. Honestly, I feel a little intimidated by them feeling that I've done so little with mine. I know this is showing but it's really, how I feel. But anyway, great to text with these two fellows but one of them the brother of my friend Dennis Ward informed me that he passed away in late February. I can't believe I did not know this. Really no reason why I should especially with the pandemic/Covid pandemic. I kind of thought I was keeping up in contact Dennis.


Dennis Ward. Dennis is one of the big kids in the ecclesiastical grouping that I grew up in called a “Ward”. He was six or seven years older than me and he was a local hero of sorts kind of a athletic superstar for the local high school, Boise Senior High. He played football and he wrestled. He also swam at the same bridge that me and my brother did. I have references to the Twin Bridges in other posts to this blog. I was lucky enough to actually watch Dennis fight I think twice at least there on the bridge. Dennis was a great fighter Dennis is a legend. I was quite taken aback couple years ago when I realized or became aware that Dennis lived in Salt Lake. Dennis is still the big guy I remember, funny always joking around. He seemed the perfect personality for sales and that's what he did. I don't know much about his adult life except he owned a company which sold organizing products for home and business. Cardboard masterpieces to help you put your home/life in order. We started having lunch a couple times a year the last couple years – – I took a bit of a break when I went through my neural surgeries and rehabilitation/divorce but we've linked up again just recently. He let me know that he come down with cancer and I felt quite bad for them but the way he talked I assumed that he'd beat the bugger and he was in remission but sadly cancer took him back in February. It would not have made a whole lot of difference had I known. I assume his brother Kim: my friend, was in town for the whole event out of like to spend some time with Kim. Again, a little intimidated by his success and his elevation within the LDS faith. I think I will be able to catch up with him in the next couple of months or however long we have left on this dirt ball. I think were quite different now in some ways but in others perhaps very similar. That's for another blog. What I thought was really memorable was that Kim informed me as Dennis was going through his end-of-life process Dennis remembered me and told his brother to let me know that he would be waiting to visit with me in another place when I no longer needed a power chair for mobility…


No comments: