Thursday, March 18, 2021

My Meat-O-Rama

 



I don't know for sure what I'm going through right now with some kind of protein crisis or meat crisis. Maybe it started the other day with my trip to my assistant meeting and I stopped off at the Taco Time on the way home got a “meat stick” a.k.a. deep-fried meat burrito. Anyway, earlier this month when I was shopping one evening I bought two different kinds of hotdog/wieners and also some high-end hotdog buns. I have managed to open the wieners and it had one complete hotdog with mustard and ketchup so far. The package now sits in the refrigerator challenging me and vexing me at the same time to finish them. Mind you I also have a package of smoked turkey slices I got yesterday with the protein binge. 2 pounds worth sliced turkey that's a lot of meat! I don't know what I was thinking more like I was hungry or anything I just kept thinking “a stimulus check is on its way I can more than a for this”. Now I'm having to figure out will do with the pound and three quarters of smoked turkey slices – – obviously I had turkey slices last night for dinner – – I can only eat so much smoked turkey in one sitting. In the coup de grace is that as I was wondering around the meat section at the Super Smith on 80th South (remember yesterday was my visit to the podiatrist which is that 8822 South Redwood Rd. just down the street from the super Smiths) in the “throw away” meat section or “reduced for quick sale” there was a beautiful little London broil as well as a huge roast! They were both at half-price one for six dollars one for $13 dollars I bought them both. I really do anything like this especially other market so far away from my apartment. But since I was purchasing a dishwashing pan I had something to carry my protein with I just went for it.


Now not only do I have open hotdogs in the fridge as well as open sliced smoked turkey I have a pound and a half of London broil and a 3 pound roast all of which need serious attention on going to lose them I have to make some decisions. This morning (I'm always much more courageous in the mornings I think it's a sleep thing) I decided I would look up the recipe for stovetop London broil and just do it and I did. I actually followed directions rubbed the meet with soft butter both sides, shake pepper and I used garlic salt, I did not have any dried mustard which the recipe called for but that's okay, I cooked the London broil three minutes on each side. I know that sounds easy but for me leaving that meat on that cast-iron's skillet and not manically flipping the meat over was a real challenge but I did it three minutes and flip three minutes more. The outside of the steak was getting a bit charred but that's okay gives the piece character. Inside the meat was pink and kind of bleeding some places but I removed the meat from the pan to the cutting board to rest and fawned over my piece of meat and grabbed my largest rocker knife sliced up the whole steak doing quality-control tasting along the way.


So at least now the London broil will not go to waste regardless. I'll go ahead and bag the steak slices and eat them over the next day or so. I'm thinking I'm going to take a couple hot dogs out put them in a plastic bag and the same with the turkey slices and commit the rest of the deep freeze for another point in time. That leaves of course one giant roast which I'm committed to roasting tomorrow. I could've done it today but didn't want to push my luck. With the meat roasted I can cut the roast and half the now freeze the rest. Just as a side note as much as I hate to think about doing it going to do a cleansing or partial cleansing of my freezer. Go to get rid of things I've gotten from the food bank though I thought I would eat but I've never going to do so I know that replace that with items like this roast in Turkey which I know I will eat in time that's what freezers are for right?…

No comments: