Wednesday, August 21, 2024

A letter and lunch

 



I think I've written before about how little real mail that I get that I've stopped checking my mailbox every day. The mailboxes are at the other end of the building for my apartment and I hate having not only rolling my chair all the way up there, only to find trash mail in my box. Especially Wednesdays when we get the circulars from all the local businesses about trying to sell their stuff to the good folks of our apartment complex. So maybe I checked the mail once a week. Yesterday, I was pleased to find a letter from my granddaughter mixed in with all the items switch passes mail these days. My granddaughter Brisa has been the most regular writer of all folks are right to every month. She's getting pretty old I was kind of surprised to find that this school year she'll be a freshman. She's totally excited about being Olive Junior High. I'm totally blown away that she's even out of grade school. I sort of had this vision of her just barely be on five or six boy my off. Anyway, she writes a terribly good letter and she's focused this letter on how she needs to write more with her hands to increase her penmanship. I can certainly understand that since I've always been plagued with poor penmanship even before my accident. Now, my penmanship has gotten so bad that if I send out six letters that I've handwritten the addresses on five of them will come back as undeliverable because somebody couldn't read the writing. I'll take half the responsibility for that but I really think the other half is just lazy federal employees. Brisa actually does a great job typing which I'm also surprised at but she's taking on the challenge to write the letters long hand. Now, I will let the litter sit a day or so then write her back to continue our volley.


Today was another meeting of The Writers Guild which basically means lunch. We've had some pretty good discussions at these meetings the last couple of months. A lot of the discussion now is around how we're going to finish out this life. Like what we're going to do with all the letters in writings in general items that we have that have to be cleaned up and out once the person kicks off. I really don't have much I was totally surprised that the writer who is part of our group actually is sold a lot of his stuff the different colleges and libraries in the area that consider him a significant writer on the local plane. And he is that that's why we're so pleased to have him part of our little Guild. I have course made the mistake of suggesting that I might be feeling the urge to do some writing maybe a short story or two and of course immediately got challenged to produce something for our next meeting which is probably in a month. I have been thinking about doing some writing about some of my childhood experiences or adolescent experiences I don't know if that's going to be doable but I certainly been getting the urge especially in the early morning hours sometimes when I can't sleep and start ruminating on all the old days and the old ways. What I've been thinking about doing is going through the internet finding the old streets and using that as my stimulus. I think I kind of outlined this last week when I started on this idea. Don't hold your breath but who knows but I can do…

No comments: