Friday, June 28, 2019

Burro Buddies



I feel kind of lucky because my ex and I have recently began texting a little bit which is been kind of enjoyable. I'm not really sure but I think she's one of the main readers of my blog for a host of reasons and I appreciate any criticism or comments that she leaves in the comment section. Dianne has made a number of comments over the years and I  really take anything she tells me seriously. That's why when she made the comment about hopefully my involvement in the Introduction to Drawing she encouraged me not to lose contact with my basic burros. I like to draw a group of burros I've been developing over 20 years it seems like. I called the main group a collection “Burros of the Apocalypse”. I know that sounds dismal dystopic and I would develop a storyline featuring these beasts in some kind of dystopia but I've never gotten that far and actually I just like the way the title sounds and a way to group all the little burros I've created. Anyway, the comment Dianne made or text of was that she hoped I didn't change these guys once I learned to make burros the “correct” way. This of course is not the first time I have thought of this. In fact last couple weeks since I started class I've thought about this a lot and sometimes I feel I'm even beginning to shift in that direction.

I've mentioned before that members of the class are expected to carry or keep sort of a sketching Journal. I've mentioned that at the beginning of each class he asks how long we've sketched since the last meeting. On Thursdays, the instructor has what he calls “Sketch book Thursdays”. All those who want to share turn their horses around and open up their sketchbooks and then everyone meanders around the classroom kind of adjudicating the sketches and they are supposed to give a little background on what you've drawn. I don't want to be at overachiever so I usually just show one of my sketches and hold the others in case I need to come up with a sketch quickly I can pull one of those in the back of my sketchbook out. I'm sure I've talked about making my bookmarks in the past. I'm always considering making more burro bookmarks. I really have a fantasy that people would love these bookmarks to the point where that even pay for. I would go to a farmers market upset up my little stand and have bookmarks made or do bookmarks as people wait. I've even thought about strong-arming my my FB friend, Lori to get me in one of her art functions, they always have a Christmas bazaar where local talent can list their products for sale. I don't know if this really happened but maybe. Anyway, last week after I finished my one sketchbook offering I made another. I found an old saltshaker in one of my cigar boxes that I have in my art area. It's a funny little pieces ceramic I actually thought I had broken it and then realized it was just a small saltshaker, a red burro and I love red burros. So I sketched this guy and actually I don't think it turned out too bad however it kind of look like a burro like a real burro and not one of my fanciful burros of the apocalypse. I don't know if I need to make a decision on how I want to do my artwork. This afternoon I was outside in the heat doing my reading assignment for next class meeting. It was talked about drawing from the left side of the brain which is kind of cool but begin to get a little worried that I might lose my ability to do the brut art but I like so much.

Like everything else the lesson here is for me just to accept what I can do, play it by ear enjoy my arteven if no one else does…

No comments: