Sunday, June 02, 2019

South Of The Border In Old Mexico…



I just got off the phone with my buddy David, the one he used to be my boss and Blackfoot Idaho, he's also the one who had a cancer scare couple months ago. One of those things that totally reboots your life and seems to have done that with him. Had not heard from Dave for a couple of weeks now though been playing tag the last couple days. We finally make contacts afternoon just now actually.

Dave called me and he was walking on the beach in Mexico! Where he lives now. We've been talking a couple of months about the possibility of moving to Mexico like people do when they dream together on the phone a long-distance calls. We lived in California not far from the border and he been thinking about this for some time. Late last year besides the cancer scare you also got notice from his landlord that landlord was selling the property And David is going to have to make some major changes. But it was kind of a shock to find out that he went ahead and did it pack some stuff and went to Mexico found a place not far from the beach totally amazing. So is an ex-patriot now there are a lot of those of Mexico I guess. Because the place he was renting had been sold and actually it's going to be destroyed the landlord is letting him David keep his stuff there as he eases into his Mexican life. This is important or can be important particularly from the standpoint of using the Internet connection at that property. David at home he would have a good connection on the Mexico side but that's not necessarily going to happen right now. He's got a have Internet because he teaches long-distance And he teaches on the Internet college classes. And it's imperative that he have enough bandwidth on the night that he teaches that he can communicate with the students were also dialed in. So I may have to make the drive back once a week for class. But he did it! He's making a new life in Mexico. We talked quite a while about his move and how it's changing his life that then he got around to asking about me and how I was doing. I had not visited with Dave since before I started drying class so I was able to fill him in on that. I think I sound pathetic as I talked about my time in the classroom now and I'll basic the class is yet how much I needed and actually how proud I am of myself (it's not like I say I'm proud of myself but I can hear it in my voice I'm so pathetic). I told about the assignments, about the professor adjunct, the other students, treats on Thursday the whole 9 yards and then pathetically I did the whole drag my homework sheet of drawing the vase holds up to the camera to show him just like I was in third grade show and tell. David, of course, complimented me on my work and reinforced me on my decision and enthusiasm for the class. It's not that I needed this support sure is nice though.

David walked me all the way from the beach up to and into his apartment. The place is small really just one room with a bathroom and a shower but it's cozy quite comfortable I think for a bachelor once David get settled in. He's talking about getting fishing equipment and fishing on the beach pretty cool. I could see how a person, even in a power wheelchair, but have a difficult time surviving his little community. Sidewalks were in poor condition I saw no curb cuts everything looked pretty raw. Davis pretty lucky in life I've noted over the decades that I've known him he would do well as an expatriate that is if the politics of this country in that country don't get too rough…

No comments: