Friday, June 21, 2019

Movie Darkness



One of the things I just totally enjoy most about going to movies is being in the theater totally enclosed in the dark and (with a great movie or even a good movie) you become totally engulfed in the universe/reality of the movie those of the best. For me, I like coming out of the reality periodically throughout the film usually and remember other events going on my life mature good. Like when I would go to let's say one of the Bond movies or Star Wars, these films were usually offered during the holidays. And during the James Bond movies for the most part I was an adolescent and I would surface out of the movie just enough think about other good things going on relative to the holiday season. This kind of works the same way even when the movies not so good or that you've got things pressing on your mind that brings you out of the “reality” of the movie.

Couple of days ago I went to one of the screenings offered by my local public radio station. One of the shows, Radio West, offers a screening usually once a month of the local film director or producer or something that's all touchy-feely, cutting-edge or controversial subject matter. I've gone to one or two of these before and really kind of like them on a number of different levels. The best part is that these films are offered free to the community and their screen at the Rose Wagner theater for the performing arts. One a Salt Lakes cute little venues that makes us think we are all grown up, as a community, like the East or West Coast cultural centers. If there was a drawback to these free screenings it would be the fact they are offered at night usually beginning at 7 PM. It took me quite a while to build the courage and faith in the transit system's Night Ride to use that system to get me home following the screening. The Rose Wagner's downtown Salt Lake in the cultural centers of the community. This area is served well transit wise by both the coaches as well as light rail and I guess Front Runner for that matter. Really, all I have to do is get to 217, route 217 outbound and I will take me straight to my apartment complex. Even at 9 PM there still a number of routes operational that meet my needs that go until 11 or so even if there one hour headways which is a long time between buses.

Trust. Trust that the transit system is going to hold up is when you're out after hours in a power chair with only so much power packed into a battery, even when fully charged, you really dependent on the system you really got a hope that system holds up. So, as I sit in the movie/screening there's a part of my mind that keeps pulling me out and saying “my get a be out of here in time?” X infinity. The screening this week was like that. It was the MTV one which is really good but I totally kept thinking it's going to be 9 o'clock, it's going to be dark and scary as I race for the transit center are the bus stop on wherever I got ago hacked onto a ride to get me South to my home. Last time I did this was in January or February and it was cold but I pulled it off wonderfully. I watch the clock I feel the time pressure as I watch the screening no matter what I don't want to miss that bus/train. If I feel I've got everything out of the screening I'm going to get I will leave before the films over and never yet have I stayed for the question-and-answer segment of the screening but that's okay usually those Q&A are for the self-involved. This is what I was thinking as they film ended last Wednesday and I bolted for the door and was blown away by warm atmosphere in the fact that it was still light the sun had barely set. I was totally overjoyed it wasn't dark at all like traveling in the afternoon. I was coming out of the dark universe into the light of day…

No comments: