Thursday, June 20, 2019

Zephyr Club



I came into this town in 1984, my dedicated readers know this, of course came into town to begin a new job and mainly follow my family who had to the Salt Lake area from Blackfoot Idaho. I felt extremely lucky to have found a job. Aside from her brother and a few cousins living way out if Sandy Utah I didn't know anyone in Salt Lake I soon got to know my work mates at the the pilloried center. They were/are a good crew in fact I married one for a couple years. Even though I was in my 30s when I moved to this town I really was fairly sheltered. Sadly, I felt that Salt Lake was the “big” city. And to my good fortune my work colleagues were will and and show me the ropes. Needless to say they felt it was somewhat important expose me to Salt Lake's nightlife at least to some extent. One of the places I remember most fondly was a place called the Zephyr club on the corner West Temple of 300 S.

The Zephyr club was my first real nightclub. Because the Utah liquor laws you could only buy liquor at clubs if you were a member. I really had no passion for becoming an continual member. Club memberships had to be renewed yearly. However, bar owners got around this by selling muted memberships for like a month at a time for five bucks or something like that. I did not go to Zephyr probably more than five or six times mainly to meet up with workmates after hours. I went to couple significant concerts at the Zephyr small gigs compared to the more traditional concerts held at the salt Palace. I even danced a couple times on the small floor and that was the byword for the Zephyr club. place seemed like it was packed probably because it was so small. Kim, Denise, Deb and me were sort of a crowd at the time. Denise was the driver she tended to organize a number of after hours events for the crew. It was fun in the early days. We regularly went out to dinner (it seemed) and out to places like the Zephyr. The three of us were single Denise is married but long to live in the club scene or something like that. We like to think we were cutting edge independent living folks in Salt Lake are probably even Utah though there is three other independent living centers scattered about the state but none of them had the Zephyr club and access to the Salt Lake bands like we did. We were the flagship of independent living system in this state in those days.

We are old now. Kim and Deb still work together in fact they are still working. I of course am quite retired and work hard at doing nothing all day (apologies to BTO). Denise, I don't know where she went she just kind of vanished and that's probably enough said about Denny—I miss the girl and all that she was and how she's doing fine. The building the Zephyr was housed in still stands but it's an eyesore and long abandoned but I can only imagine the ghosts that rome that building at night…

No comments: