Monday, June 03, 2019

Summer School




I just kind of realized that I'm going to summer school, when you're grown up I guess summer schools referred to as “summer quarter” “summer semester” and so on. Bottom line however is it summer school. Kids (grown-ups) having to go to school in order to make up grades, class time or whatever. In the old days when drivers Ed was only taught in the summer that summer school was not so bad did not carry the stigma that having to go to summer school often created on a youth. I went to summer school right after my accident. You will probably remember that I lost a year of school or a half a year Due to being rehabilitation.

Of course went to driver's ed, the year before my accident which is kind of ironic, this was my first experience with anything like summer school. I thought it would felt so weird being in a school classroom in June when everybody else was deeply involved in their summer vacation. I was 14 at the time – – you are almost expected to take driver's ed when you were 14. Classroom training was okay but what was really fun was driving. I've been driving for some time on the farm I don't know if he can really call this driving moving your tractor up and down the field between rows of piled hay to be thrown onto the stack. Then there was, also driving the Studebaker truck when you weren't supposed to but that was fun but we didn't do a lot of driving of the pickup. So I had some experience getting behind the wheel putting the vehicle in gear and taking off was kind of fun a little scary merging into traffic, real traffic for the first time but that's to driver's ed was for. Now school districts offer driver's ed year-round. It probably is not nearly as it exciting experience as it once was.

As I reentered life after my disability, missing happy year of school and then returning for just half days for the rest of that year. I was expected to make up the time before graduation. That's what I did I had a couple classes during the summer before I graduated to make sure I had enough credits. Again a totally weird feeling rolling into a classroom when everybody else was enjoying the hot summer days doing whatever able-bodied teenagers did in those days. I barely remember my summer school experience other than knowing that I was there and taking the classes and feeling they were a bit lightweight compared to regular semester classes which is okay by me. I wasn't sure how much is focused on any kind of academic output. But I did it, I must have, I graduated. Mind you, I graduated not with my class and the class following my class but I enjoyed the group anyway.

Now it's different. I'm going to summer quarter/semester and I purposely took an early morning class. The class itself is “laid-back”. I think the instructors picking up a few extra dollars to cover the class this summer. When we started many of the students indicated they are in the class because they had to be. They had to get these hours the liberal credits out of the way in order to graduate. These folks made it sound like they are just dropping in and that was all they were going to do but I'm somewhat intrigued at how much work they put into each assignment even with a little pride. I actually worked on my current assignment over the weekend and today. I probably put in 3 to 4 hours which is the most of ever done and I somewhat enjoyed the experience and look forward to showing up tomorrow for class at 8 o'clock just after the sun has risen on a hot pre-summer day…


No comments: