Saturday, November 14, 2020

So Long Dear Auntie

 

I'm on the left of course with my mother and aunt Elaine is on the right with my cousin TracyAdd caption


You know you always think ready for a senior passing especially when they're in the 90s but then the event happens you're still taken a bit aback. This afternoon I got word that my aunt Elaine passed away this afternoon. They (Rhonda the daughter who I understand has been taking care of her mother the past couple of weeks) was a shout out over the Internet as soon as the grand dame of this world. Amazing. Quite frankly I'm astonished and dealing last as long as she did, I understand she did to or was. It's a shame we did become a bit estranged past couple of years. I'm not sure why or how this happened. I think I got a little frustrated that she did not want me to visit with the frequency that I had committed to. Perhaps it was best, who knows maybe if I was a blood? But I sure liked spending time with her. If I had a favorite older relative to what about uncle Jess and aunt Elaine. To me the most impressive thing about aunt Elaine was her garnering her high school and later college diplomas. I'm not sure about the college but I am sure about the high school that was a big deal. I hope she's doing okay wherever she is. Hope she's with uncle Jess and the rest of her family especially grandmother and grandfather Harker and all the rest


Yesterday when I went shopping I went out of my way to make sure I had fresh broccoli. I've had a hankering for a big batch of gar-broc. I thought about picking up a couple of cans of corn beef but I know I've got a couple of cans already in the pantry. I replaced them couple weeks ago. I was going to make the gar-broc so I would have some for tomorrow's breakfast. I made sure I had the ingredients at least visually an onion, garlic paste, and broccoli of course, sour cream and cottage cheese, eggs everything I need for a tasty breakfast especially the corned beef. I've toyed with the idea of using roast beef but I don't have any roast beef or maybe if I chopped up spam that might be doable but really it's all not quite the same. Something about the salty flavor of the corned beef that makes the difference in gar broc. My home health person is very good at occupy her time while I'm on the toilet. She's made a goal of trying to put order to my pantry and that's trying to put like product together fruit in one section, vegetables in another and had fish and other. Having said that of course I could not find either of my two cans of corned beef. They just disappeared. Now Melanie did stick a lot of the meet together in the shelf above the coffee maker which would be just fine if she put the corned beef there. I kind of asked her about that Friday when she was here. I'm sure she said it was up there I wish I checked. I went through and checked as much as I could but I could not find any of the corned beef. The cold front came through during the night most snow thing goodness in fact the day looked beautiful lots of sunshine but there is a very cold breeze blowing. I thought about saddling up and headed across the street to the market for another counter corned beef but then I do feel a little peaked. I don't want to be hypersensitive to anything but I certainly have enough ingredients for anything else that would be tasty maybe not with broccoli right now but with eggs for sure and Vienna sausages are spam + even have frozen package of roast beef in the freezer if I can find it. Patience the broccoli can wait and so can I…

No comments: