Thursday, November 26, 2020

Zip Tie!

 



It was the little things that makes all the difference in a person's life. I'm sure I've written about this somewhere in the past but it's foremost in my mind again because of my activities this Thanksgiving day. I would up really early today probably 5:30 AM so I first looked at the clock and I was awake before that. I think I was excited about the prospect of making my Thanksgiving meal. I had everything I needed. I had everything thawed out and I even had two main dishes completely put together and in the refrigerator. I don't know when I've ever been this organized for a meal. Even with this much work being done I would still have a lot to do our excuse the pun a lot on my plate before dinner.


I actually took a moment and cleaned out a lot of the refrigerator so I'd have places to put the dinner after I was finished. I can't believe us that proactive at that early hour. I didn't even really start cooking until light 1130 or 12 o'clock think about be eating around 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Make sure that I had saucepans that were clean not even opened up the Campbell A can of Turkey gravy and dumped it in a microwavable cup and set that aside. I took the turkey drumstick I purchased frozen the other day and had to figure out if it was fully cooked and safety eat or do I just need to cook along with the breast. I ended up going over to my neighbors to ask her she assured me that smoked turkey leg was in the cooked. What I said I goofed around the apartment all morning washing dishes sweeping floor and just trying to keep ahead of the chaos seems to be enveloping my life from time to time. But it was finally time to do the bird or their parts. I wrestled the breast out of the refrigerator and figured out how to get it out its net covering which is always tricky. I found my scissors and finally got the plastic covered breast free of the net covering and then I had to do the same thing with the plastic wrapped breast. It was a struggle certainly but I finally got the whole meat free of its plastic wrappings and managed not to get any the blood and guts on me. Then the real trip started, I washed down the breast really good and then wrestled the protein into the plastic bag. That's correct I cooked the whole thing in a bag. I was surprised that I even remember that I had cooking bags more than I t. I got the bag opened it up put in the tablespoon of flour and shook it all around. It was still a challenge to get the slippery breast into the back but I finally did it with a minimum amount of mess and stress. That's when the big challenge came. This neat little plastic zipper contraption comes with the bags that you're supposed to wrap around the bags and cinch tight. This is easier said than done with someone whose hands are compromised with paralysis. I've done it before but it takes more patients and focus then I was able to give it today then I remembered what I've done in the past. In the past I had used a zip tie. But still a bit of a challenge with the zip tie but you have a lot more product to work with. I figure both are made of plastic temperature in the oven get that hot and it's worked in the past. I got everything, finally, put together through the bird in and set the oven for the 325° which stated on the package and set the timer for two hours. Now talking to people they felt that the time should have been more like 45 minutes to an hour at 400° but I stuck with the directions on the wrapper.


I must confess I wasn't too pleased with the way that the rest came out it seemed like it wasn't crispy are the skin on the breast wasn't browned as much as I would like to of been. Pretty much tasted down I couldn't tell if it was just moist or raw. I wasn't all that pleased with the turkey leg. I think I will The lead for now but I don't know how much I like the smoke flavor. Overall, I enjoyed cooking a meal and I'll look forward to having leftovers. I'm a little shy of the meat think outdated over the time but I do enjoy the beings in the dressing. I wasn't thrilled with the pie but I did enjoy the whipped cream in a can and even now I'm looking forward to doing may be a prime rib roast for Christmas… Happy Thanksgiving

No comments: