Sunday, August 22, 2021

Broken Chair Blues

 



This is a horrible image I understand that, But it is the only Image I have of this particular issue with my power chair. Once again you know me as the “Destroyer” I don't take pride in writing that but it's just the way that this. Even though I don't mind the moniker of Reckitt Ralph or whatever you want to call me the point is I am the Destroyer. Now you'll remember that I've not been totally delighted with this chair. I've been having a lot of issues recently with the left arm that just is not perform well. Part of the issue I know is that I was used to the old chair and how the arm worked. It raised up and down so I could get in and out of bed without effort our assistance. Now that chair had its drawbacks and limitations I agree but I had gotten used to them and worked around them and adapted to them quite well. I wore the chair of , no question, I'm just having to do it all over again.


Last night as I went to bed totally thankful for such a great day with a power chair that worked relatively well. I had misjudged the night before and had not plugged in the charger as I should've selected. So the power chair did not charge at all leaving me with about 75% charge to the chair. I'm sure I could've gone and done anything I'd wanted yesterday but with the weather being kind of cool as in temperature and the fact I had a good book to read I just hung out at the apartment pretty much enjoyed the day and so last night I made double sure the charger was plugged in the green ready light was flashing I plugged in for the night. It was when I rolled over and bed and looked back at my chair realizing that a piece of the chair that I think is kind of important, a piece that I had already been to the point where my wheelchair technician has indicated he is sending for more parts to replace the one part that I bent and somewhere during the day yesterday I'd sheared off completely. It looked like a broken leg or something. I don't know when I broke it during the day I kind of remember hearing something pop but I hear a lot of pops with this chair snap some pops not so much crackle but the others for sure. It probably didn't help matters that I had kind of used the piece of technology as a handhold device when I pulled myself over in bed during the night which I do quite a bit during the night. On my old chair to chair actually had handholds or grab bars on the sides of the chair, which I don't know if that was the intent but certainly assisted me in turning on my side during the night when I slept would wake up and have to readjust myself – – – all night long seemed. Well the point is now I somehow just wore the peace out. No not that I need an excuse but there really is a fragile piece of technology and it's a poor place to put it the piece is a problem waiting to happen. There is a bolt on either end of the shaft which I think spins to liberally and I spun it to liberally which I think limits the amount of motion on the arm of the chair which makes it so I can barely lift the piece high enough or lower the arm low enough to safely make the transfer. I really demand a lot out of my equipment to be independent. Now, my technician has ordered new pieces in which I think are the same ones I just destroyed. I want to make a commitment that I would be very careful and not really mess with the new fix but I know it's just a short time before I destroy it. The upside is that this morning when I got up out of bed I maneuvered the arm up and down and it seemed to work just fine. I transferred into my chair and very easily was able to anchor the part into its slot and walk it up and I been able to use the chair just fine. The signals to me that maybe the pieces in all that important maybe just discounted for show. If I can get by without that piece on all be okay the next time I snap the rod. Maybe I'm just being irresponsible once again making excuses for my destruction…

No comments: