Saturday, August 21, 2021

Sundial

 



I'm totally impressed with my son Mark Anthony and myself to have consistently hung out every Sunday morning this summer. Sometimes we're joined by a granddaughter, Jasmine who graces us with her presence when she doesn't have to work too late the night before ours of with a friend camping out for doing a houseboat weekend down in St. George or some other water mass. But usually it's Mark and me meeting at what are two restaurants having breakfast, visiting about the week's events and each other's status. I didn't think I'd ever say this but actually, I'm at the point now where I could probably forgo the breakfast per se and just do the activity we been doing lately.


Last year Mark invested in a scooter, electric scooter, which he uses to get them back and forth from his home to the track station and then to work, on the good days. Recently, he even got a new scooter when there was issues develop with his older version. It carries the scooter in the back of his vehicle on the days that are nice and we have the time, following breakfast we like to “zoom”. Zoom is the verb we use to describe headed out on our electric vehicles and exploring the areas were interested in. We spent the first days zooming around the park adjacent to my apartment complex as well as ranging around my neighborhood. We are quite limited when using my older chair because of the limited battery capacity. Sometimes, I found out too late I had not plugged in my chair appropriately the night before and didn't get a good charge for Sunday. With the new chair we've had some great experiences cruising around the area. I wish I could go a little bit faster than my 6.2 mph but I grown to accept and enjoy my speed limitation. Mark Anthony is great as far as accepted my limited speed but were able to go to the places we've gone so far enjoy each other's company on the trip. For example last week, we finally were able to explore the Salt Lake community college or SL CC. We went all around the campus from one end to the other. I've been on this campus quite a bit for my art class couple years ago and I thought I knew the place but it seems that I hadn't opened my eyes enough. I found this great sculpture, this rock sticking up out of the concrete it was only on closer inspection that I realized this rock was actually a stylus (I think that's what you call it) for a sundial! Not only did one estimate a gauge the time of day (when the sun was out) one can also check to see what quarter or season the world was in. It actually had the Vernal and autumnal equinox markings. It was just cool. It's interesting to know this stuff academically, to study this in one class or another but to actually run up against the actual “working” version is something else. We walked and we talked and we zoomed the college campus. Mark Anthony remarked how great the time it been and how much it was similar to our “Kid Day” adventures when we often just descended out of the old Cadillac or whatever vehicle we were using and started exploring the territory downtown Salt Lake be in one of our favorites as well as Trolley Square. We've talked about perhaps finding a restaurant in the downtown area or on the east side downtown area zooming that part of Salt Lake. I'm hoping will have more time in the upcoming weeks before the bad weather comes for winter – – but who knows? Maybe the global warming will greatly expand our zoom. Him and I and you will and will and will and will and will will will will will so as a you a you and I this will one is the will and will…


No comments: