Sunday, August 08, 2021

Drive Time

 




I was kind of surprised when I woke this morning and it was 6 AM. One of the few times I remember basically sleeping through the night which is quite enjoyable. I'm not sure why this particular Sunday but I'm thankful just the same. We continue (Mark and sometimes Jasmine having breakfast with me that one of our local restaurants today it was D's). I was ready in time luckily they were a little bit late but I was still ready way before time to go meet them but I have to confess it was a bit of a challenge. I don't know but I think it's the chair. It's not allowing me the rigidity I need to press often do the bridging I need to dress the way I need to dress particularly sliding the shorts up over my hips and be available across my legs to get my shoes on – – when I wear shoes. This is okay in the summer at winter is coming in who knows what winter will bring in this new time and seasons.


The fires on the coast continued to rage sending billowing smoke into the West. The smoke density was not so bad today as has been really had a facsimile of sunshine that things are definitely changing. I'm sure we'll get on top of fires and put those fires out in due time. I'm afraid however that things are definitely changing climate wise. The West is always been dry but now the dryness is getting to a point critical. Following, the breakfast with the kids enjoyed some alone time here in the apartment actually taking my book out to the patio to do some reading. I was really sleepy for a while but got through that and spent some quality time reading which I thought was really beneficial. I was still, restless though no one to put some miles on the power chair. I remember I have a loaf of white bread and I knew I was never going to eat it so what better thing to do then to make a trip over to the big ditch in the park and play duck Lord for a while. I gathered everything I thought I would need backpack, wallet, cell phone and emergency nuts. They also made sure I was carrying my hook because you just never know.


It is a nice day in the park not too hot not to Smokey just tried. I took off out of the parking lot of the apartment complex by the front door and onto the sidewalk. I took the sidewalk to the back end of the park to Southeast where there's a small bridge which crosses the ditch/canal from the park to a drive/walkway that follows the canal. This is where the ducks linger and sitting in the middle of the bridge I can throw pieces of bread quite a distance enticing the ducks and ducklings into the water and over to me. I don't know why enjoys us practice so much but I do and it's a good way to get rid of bread and I have a way of accumulating those of bread. I finally got to the bridge and I was quite shocked. The canal was empty there were puddles here and there but the water was gone and there were long stretches of completely dry canal. There is enough water just under the bridge area to trap who knows how many fingerlings and minnows and small little pools some actually frothing from these poor things as they search for oxygen. Of course is nothing I could do and I don't know why the waters been turned out of the canal unless of course things are just dried up. I can't believe we would be at that point now. However its way to early, I think, in the season to be draining canals. This is behavior that happens more and not told where in the middle of August. But there is certainly been reports on a local news of how dry the reservoirs of gotten and possible problems continued drought might bring. This little ditch is a microcosm of the big picture which I'm afraid might be facing humanity for not careful. Certainly not a pleasant concept but one WE HAVE TO CONSIDER…

No comments: