Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Exact Change Only!

 



I'm just always amazed at how much drama is on the Utah transit Authority bus at any given time. I've written about this drama thing before I've even written poetry about incidents of bus drama even though many times the drama is somewhat uncomfortable, I'm sure for the driver and whoever is causing drama, but for the other individuals as well. I don't remember if I wrote about it earlier this week or last week but when I was trying to board the bus driver held up his hand and asked that I give him a minute or two. He was still coming off an interaction he had with a transit consumer who was quite antagonistic if not threatening because the driver insisted that the consumer follow protocol which is to use facial covering if you're going to write a UTA vehicle. I said sure and give a few minutes – – shows no skin off my nose and I did feel for him. I just hate confrontation in public confrontation at that especially these wild times when there is so many crazy people out there with who knows what's in their pocket who knows how short their “fuse” is what just might put the match to that fuse.


Today's incident was a bit more relaxed, thank goodness. It's Tuesday of course that means it's a chance to participate in the Assist, Inc. volunteer board. This is the activity I look forward to which is almost weekly. Today I was making good time had no problems getting ready for my meeting and spent time just clean up the kitchen a little bit getting some dishes done I had been putting off for a number of days. In fact the dishes were mostly done and just needed rinsed and pulled out of the sink to drain. I was out the door up to the bus stop was inbound when two or three stops later the bus stops to let two individuals board. I was kind of interested in that they both looked well-dressed and groomed. Many of the folks ride the system look as good as these two kids did. Look like their college-age guys. One of the individuals board of the vehicle and the other one stood back. Or I sit, built into my chair in my chair strapped to the bus frame itself quite a ways from the farebox in the driver but there is quite a conversation going on between the two. It look like the young man was asking for change back from a large bill for his bus fare. Of course there's big sign over the door it says “Exact Change Only!”. However obviously I could tell the individual was not English-speaking my thought was pretty interesting was the individual was using his cell phone and obviously translation software to communicate with the driver. In fact the driver under that point out his cell phone and begin typing into the device. I've never seen the driver take this much interest in trying to communicate with a non-English speaking individual regarding fare. You either have the fare or that you don't know if you don't you walk. This driver was actually going after mile and I was mildly impressed. I'm kind of surprised the driver just didn't waive the kid on and send them to the back of the bus. The eventually resolve their issues and the kid did wander to the back of a bus and the other individual just waved the bus goodbye when the driver asked if he was coming aboard. I didn't see how they resolve their fare question I did not see any money changed hands so I imagine the driver just let them pass. I'm still impressed how long this interaction lasted. Like I said I'm surprised the driver was so a cordial and trying to accommodate this individual. Most drivers most likely would've left them in the dust. I don't know if that's fair me to say but it seems that's just the way that it is…

No comments: