Monday, August 09, 2021

Road Block!




I don't know what I expect. I mean I'm cynical enough to realize that regardless of how aware the able-bodied public become of the needs of people with disabilities these guys will never understand what it's like to have need essentially shut down for who knows how long. I've been watching for some time the last couple of weeks of sidewalk closure signs pop up all along routes that I use almost from a daily basis mainly on Redwood Road. I'm not so naïve to believe that all public arteries like sidewalks will always be clear all the time – – summer or winter. It's just not going to happen but it seems like things one can do to assist free travel these things should be explored. Temperatures been dropping the past couple of days due to cold fronts and significant smoke cloud cover blocking the direct heat from the sun. I haven't really been out doing a lot of traveling just because I haven't had a desire or need. I think couple weeks ago when Dianne and I went to lunch was the last time I did some significant road time. I listen to a news program every day of the work week at 3 PM. This is Marketplace. I come listen to the program later as a podcast a couple hours after the initial broadcast. I was somewhat conflicted with wanting to go to a movie and then missing my radio show and tell I heard a short statement from Kai Ryssdal , the host for Marketplace, indicating that he will be gone on vacation this whole week. In that instance I realize that I'm really not interested in the radio show if it is not being hosted by Kai. I know that's pretty shallow of me. I mean I'm not going to totally boycott the show from silly not going to miss something I want to do listen to someone else was not quite the professional that Kai is. I've been talking about the show Suicide Squad a couple of days now since it started at the Regal theater up the street. I decided I would do the movie today the first showing of Suicide Squad was at 1245. I figured I could do my arm bike workout and still make the bus and make the movie. 12:45 PM means the show will start to about 1 PM after all the trailers. I messed around a little much at the apartment and once again was out of time to do a full hour workout. I hate shortchanging myself but I figured I could do some work out then take a break to the movie and come back and finish. That's what I did. I did a half an hour workout and remember all I have to do is 200+ minutes a week for a good workout. So off I went and just as I was leaving my complex the bus came barreling by meaning that the next bus would not come for another 15 minutes. I didn't want to wait around I had made my mind up and is going to the movies so I decided I would drive up in my power chair. That's when I noticed the sidewalk I want to use was blocked. Totally frustrated will not too frustrated because I guess I do have the option of rolling up on the other side of the street. This can be a little dicey but mostly doable. I guess it's just an irritation. And yes, I could've waited for the bus that seemed like such a long time. I took off and had time to spare after getting to the moviehouse. To be honest, the more we wasn't worth the effort I put into attending. I don't know if it's me or the caliber of films being offered but the violence is skyhigh in the character development of the folks in this film wwas just dumb. I'm a long ways from being a real critic but the movie was just tried save your money and don't let a block sidewalk detour you from your appointed rounds…

No comments: