Monday, October 09, 2023

A $4 Lunch

Today was the community lunch, when somebody at this facility apartment complex prepares a meal for everybody. We used to have somebody here that did it all the time she specialized developing special events of programs for folks here at the apartment complex. She left leaving the vacuum which was quickly filled by one of the other apartment owners here at the complex. A German lady who will call Roxanne. She's been in Stateside for some time and speaks excellent English but still retains the German accent. I've never really gotten to know this person until the last couple weeks. She's helped me on and off doing the coffee social on Thursday mornings. But anyway, today was the community lunch and for $4 you could get cabbage rolls and potato dumplings which I really still don't know what they are but I'm kind of crazy for cabbage rolls sort of like I'm crazy for meatloaf. I don't know if it's the item or the fact that it's made from hamburger and I firmly believe if you throw enough hamburger at a dish it turns out being good I'm a True Believer.




Lunch was supposed to be at 12:30 p.m. which I thought was kind of strange to have it on a half an hour off like that when you think it should be 12:00 p.m. but who knows. I showed up around 11:30 to see if there's anything I could do to assist but she seemed to have everything under control there's not much I can do anyway except me moral support and I can do that pretty well. I kind of assisted setting up her serving table and helped wipe down a couple of the tables for the actual lunch but like I said there wasn't much for me to do. I ended up heading back to my apartment a little after 12:00 noon because I need to have my own setting servings you know your own plate and silverware or plastic ware or whatever. So I meandered down to the apartment and sort of got sidetracked doing this and that and soon it was 12:30 and I thought I'd better get back to help if there is any help needed. That's quite surprised when I turned the corner and they're already a number of people sitting and eating lunch obviously they started much earlier than 12:30 p.m. is what's the notice said. Luckily Roxanne had made a bunch of cabbage rolls, asparagus salad with bacon and the potato the potato things with a can of apple beer( not alcoholic). I was kind of surprised cuz there wasn't any dessert to speak of I thought maybe a cake or cookies or something but I was happy with the cabbage roll in fact I got a second cabbage roll as well. There's a nice gravy that went with it too. I don't know if I'll do other community functions but this one was well worth the $4 and attempts at socialization. Tomorrow there's a vendor of Social Security type supports insurance kind of guy fortunately I've got a good excuse to be gone tomorrow is my assist, inc day…

No comments: