Saturday, October 21, 2023

Saturday's strangeness

I had the weirdest experience this morning. I think I was woken up around 2:30 or 3:30 a.m. by a beeping type of sound. A beep followed by eight seconds in the beep again. The first part of my recollection of this event happening I was still asleep and conjured up this incredible thought process that this was a sound heard only in the brain/mind and is being perpetrated by some unknown individual Citywide Statewide Countrywide. It just the dream thoughts seem to go on forever until I finally woke up and was still hearing the sound and I was wondering if the rest of the building was hearing it as well or was it just me. Finally around 5:30 I pulled my cell phone over and went through a couple of news feeds thinking that if this was as big as I thought that it was there's got to be some other people who are complaining about it as well. Because the sounds were just separated enough that it totally interrupted your sleep process and you couldn't get back to sleep no matter how hard you tried. I was really quite concerned for a while not sure what to think what was going on. Then I don't know why but I put the pillow over my head or ears which diminished the sound which made me realize for the first time that the sound was outside my head and in my apartment it still didn't really crystallize as to what the sound was and as I woke up more clearly I realized the sound was local. That one time I thought it might be some kind of building wide alarm system going off cuz we tested the alarms earlier in the afternoon and I thought maybe it was a leftover anomaly from that event.


Finally around 5:45 a.m. I remembered I had been careless reaching over the front knobs of the stove when I was making the spaghetti last night and I touched the number of the Buttons used to set the time in frequency of alarms and timers and things like that and then I realized the sound was just the stove. Because I usually get up at 6:00 a.m. the first thing I did was go to the stove and sure enough it was showing that the stove was waiting for a command to do a final step on setting an alarm on the stove. And the thing was beeping all I had to do was press the button and things went wonderfully quiet. I'm quite looking forward the sleeping tonight without being interrupted by kind of spooky sounds in the night.


Later in the day adventured out trying to find an interesting place to eat I wanted to reward myself for getting a haircut. I tried to catch a bus but they wouldn't stop at the bus stop I was at because it was in a construction zone kind of pissed me off. So I ended up rolling the other direction finally settling to just go to the deli at the market down the street from my apartment complex which is really a good deal. I had three chicken tenders, one sausage and mashed potatoes and gravy a small spoon and covered with gravy. I did the whole thing for about five bucks. It was just enough I didn't have to worry about leftovers or dragging anything home with me. It sure wasn't fancy but it was good enough for Saturday night…

No comments: